Startpage

Story: Gnome switches to DuckDuckGoTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
lqsh

Aug 30, 2013
6:54 PM EDT
I wonder why they chose DuckDuckGo over Startpage..
vagabondo

Aug 30, 2013
7:16 PM EDT
Perhaps because as a re-packaged Google, Startpage is potentially vulnerable, as Scroogle was.
djohnston

Aug 30, 2013
11:36 PM EDT
Quoting:Perhaps because as a re-packaged Google, Startpage is potentially vulnerable, as Scroogle was.

Not quite. StartPage is a proxy service, like Scroogle was. The similarity ends there. According to StartPage's about page,

Quoting:It allows users to surf the web with complete privacy. The proxy lets users browse websites safely and anonymously, without passing on any private, personally identifiable information to the websites they view.

I primarily use ixquick, StartPage's parent site. DuckDuckGo is an excellent alternative to ixquick, and offers the same benefits.

vagabondo

Aug 31, 2013
1:56 AM EDT
Sorry, but I do not understand why Startpage would not be vulnerable to having their servers blocked from accessing Google's search engine; as happened to Scroogle.

djohnston

Aug 31, 2013
3:42 AM EDT
@vagabondo,

Scroogle was never actually "blocked" by Google, or so the claims go. I'll begin with the May 2010 interruption of Scroogle's scraping. Quoting from PCWorld,

Quoting:For Scroogle, search results were "scraped," or automatically copied, from a specific Google search Web page (google.com/ie) designed to deliver results to people using Microsoft's outdated Internet Explorer 6 browser with the Google search toolbar.

The page was particularly suited for Scroogle, as it presented clean search results without ads and Google's universal search feature, which brings up other items such as news stories and YouTube videos, said Daniel Brandt, president of the nonprofit Public Information Research group and who runs Scroogle with donations.

But Google suddenly changed that page earlier this week in an effort to get people to upgrade to newer versions of Internet Explorer.

The change by Google didn't appear to be intentional, but it broke Scroogle.

After Google's interface changed, several Scroogle users offered new methods for scraping Google's content. From TheRegister's account,

Quoting:But by Tuesday evening, thanks to some help from a trio of Scroogle users, Brandt was able to replicate his setup via another page - google.com/search - by adding an extra parameter ("&output=ie") to the url. "It appears that both methods," Brandt says, meaning the old and the new, "amount to the same thing."

As I said, that was in May of 2010 when Google changed its interface and Scroogle "broke". As I recall, there were more episodes where a Google interface change required Scroogle to do some reconnoitering in order to resume its "service". Scroogle "closed its doors" in February of 2012. According to BetaBeat,

Quoting:Scroogle, the search engine operated by privacy militant and self-appointed Wikipedia watchdog Daniel Brandt, has folded for real. After enduring DDOS attacks “around the clock” that sent a flood of unsustainable traffic to his servers, Mr. Brandt took down the search engine along with his other four domains, namebase.org, google-watch.org, cia-on-campus.org, and book-grab.com. His theory is that he was being attacked by hackers with a personal vendetta.

A net search for "scroogle blocked" and for "scroogle closed" will turn up variations of the same stories. Hope that helps.

vagabondo

Aug 31, 2013
4:30 AM EDT
@djohnston

Thanks, I had forgotten most of that.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!