Desperation

Story: Microsoft to acquire Nokia’s devices & services business, license Nokia’s patents and mapping servicesTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
penguinist

Sep 03, 2013
9:40 AM EDT
MSFT really feels like a sinking ship. It's bad news after bad news. They keep stumbling and making mistakes. In the past their vast market share on the desktop saved them and afforded them the luxury of making so many mistakes. But these days it's not so easy. Android and iphone together are eating their lunch in the devices space and they are working hard to try to catch up. I predict failure and eventually MSFT will fall into obscurity.
dave

Sep 03, 2013
9:41 AM EDT
Couldn't have said it better myself. I celebrate the upcoming failure of Microsoft (I think).
notbob

Sep 03, 2013
10:29 AM EDT
I couldn't give a rat's @ss about M$, but am deeply saddened by the virtual demise of Nokia. Somehow I thought they would see the light, recover, go back to linux, and save the world from bogus entities like scamdroid. Apparently not. (sigh) I keep this link as a reminder/memorial:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone

(holy rat patooties, Batman. Blink does work on my browser, after all!)
gary_newell

Sep 03, 2013
10:40 AM EDT
It is a shame for Nokia. Nokia used to provide the easiest to use phones with the best features but they failed to move quickly enough when the iPhone came out.

I was given a Nokia Lumia Phone as a gift which runs the Windows Phone software. To be honest it is actually a really good phone and the Windows tiles work well on a phone.

Nokia's applications are actually really good. The Nokia Drive application is a great sat nav utility and Nokia Maps works just as well as Google maps.

jsusanka

Sep 03, 2013
11:24 AM EDT
how can an ex microsoft employee come in and run the company in the ground and then sell it to his old company

nothing funny going here wink wink move along

nokia used to make some good linux products until the microsoft nazi took over and all the linux developers jumped ship.

penguinist

Sep 03, 2013
1:20 PM EDT
Quoting:how can an ex microsoft employee come in and run the company in the ground and then sell it to his old company

And then when he's finished he's back in the top management of microsoft.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the EU government weighs in on this point.
skelband

Sep 03, 2013
1:50 PM EDT
The real question is "Is this actually a surprise to anyone?" Everyone knows that's what Elop's job was in the first place. I notice that he is rejoining the fold.
Bob_Robertson

Sep 03, 2013
1:59 PM EDT
Anyone want to make bets on the future employment opportunities for other "ex-" Microsoft people?
flufferbeer

Sep 03, 2013
6:17 PM EDT
Those lousy M$ mucky-mucks.... know why they REALLY bought Nokia?? Seems to me that they CLEARLY are going to start up some serious patent-trolling IP suits against anyone who even THINKS about creating Nokia-like apps!!

2c
Steven_Rosenber

Sep 03, 2013
6:40 PM EDT
Say what you want, but that Nokia Windows Phone has a HUGE camera. And marketing budget to go with it.
CFWhitman

Sep 04, 2013
8:26 AM EDT
flufferbeer wrote:Seems to me that they CLEARLY are going to start up some serious patent-trolling IP suits against anyone who even THINKS about creating Nokia-like apps!!

I thought that the details said that Nokia would keep its patents and merely license them to Microsoft as part of the deal. If that's true, then Microsoft can't sue anyone over them.
JaseP

Sep 04, 2013
9:31 AM EDT
Quoting: I was given a Nokia Lumia Phone as a gift which runs the Windows Phone software.

I'd have been a bad gift recipient and returned it for another phone...
BernardSwiss

Sep 04, 2013
11:21 AM EDT
Quoting: I thought that the details said that Nokia would keep its patents and merely license them to Microsoft as part of the deal. If that's true, then Microsoft can't sue anyone over them.

But Nokia can (are they a "non-practising entity" now?)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!