Quoting the same bloggers is not journalism

Story: Linux at 22: Another Year, Another Step Closer to World DominationTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
the_doctor

Sep 03, 2013
11:52 PM EDT
Katherine Noyes (aka Linux Girl) has demonstrated her ability to quote the same bloggers over and over again.

This article does nothing but quote the following bloggers: * Mike Stone * Robert Pogson * Robin Lim * hairyfeet * Gerhard Mack * Kevin O'Brien * Alessandro Ebersol * Brett Legree

Her previous article "Who's Afraid of Linux Malware?" also does nothing but quote the following bloggers: * Chris Travers * Hans Kwint * Martin Espinoza * Robert Pogson * Kevin O'Brien * Mike Stone * Gonzalo Velasco C. * hairyfeet * Alessandro Ebersol

"The Linux Desktop Beauty Pageant, Round Eleventy" also by Noyes quotes the following bloggers: * hairyfeet * Ken Starks * Mike Stone * Gerhard Mack * Robert Pogson * Kevin O'Brien * Brett Legree * Martin Espinoza * Alessandro Ebersol

Need more? Look at: "'Ode to Groklaw: A Requiem for What Was Lost" "1 Small App, 1 Giant Feather in Linux's Cap" "Canonical's Edgy Endeavor" "Unfaithfully Yours: The Linux Version" "Linus, Sarah and the Linux Civil Code" "Tizen Rising: Can a $4M App Challenge Do the Trick?" "Android's Audacious Desktop Debut"

Nothing but quoting the same bloggers over and over again. Someone needs a new schtick!

Is that why they stopped publishing her articles at pcworld.com three months ago?
gary_newell

Sep 05, 2013
3:35 AM EDT
Not really news but I do like the way those articles on Linux Insider are put together.
Steven_Rosenber

Sep 05, 2013
8:12 PM EDT
What Hairy Feet said.
skelband

Sep 06, 2013
12:19 PM EDT
Although the Ministry of Sound seems to think that there is value in curation, whether that value is saleable and assertable as a "property" under the law I'm not so sure.

However, what's reporting if not summarising the opinions of others? There really is a lot of snobbery on this board.
herzeleid

Sep 08, 2013
12:21 PM EDT
I don't know that it's snobbery, skelband. Quoting someone else now and then is fine, but if I have to listen one more time to what "hairyfeet" has to say, I'm going to break something.
lcafiero

Sep 08, 2013
12:48 PM EDT
I'm inclined to agree with the_doctor. If this was presented as a column about what other bloggers are saying about $PRESSING_LINUX_ISSUE, then that would be fine. However, it's not this type of column, and not quoting folks by their nickname instead of their real name -- I'd bet dollars to donuts "hairyfeet" is not on that particular person's birth certificate -- tends to decrease credibility, regardless of the quality of the insight offered.
DrGeoffrey

Sep 08, 2013
12:50 PM EDT
Hmmm, seems there should be an easier solution to the problem that implementing some form of censorship.
lcafiero

Sep 08, 2013
12:56 PM EDT
Well, the solution obviously is to avoid reading the articles going forward.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!