Too stupid

Story: Do too many cooks spoil the Linux broth? Total Replies: 13
Author Content
notbob

Sep 17, 2013
7:26 AM EDT
Am I the only one sick of articles that are titled by a question? Have you become sick of this passive-aggressive approach to journalism, also? Why has this become such an insanely overused mechanism? Are blogger jes unimaginative or are they really that stupid? Do you actually read these news duds? Are you seriously lame enough to respond to this post? ;)
penguinist

Sep 17, 2013
8:18 AM EDT
Articles entitled with a question don't annoy me nearly as much as forum posts that consistently misspell the word "just".

:-)
Bob_Robertson

Sep 17, 2013
8:47 AM EDT
A particular YouTube troll is instantly brought to mind by the "rhetorical question" mechanism, isn't he? He makes absurd statements, and the ends them with a question mark, doesn't he? It's not like he's actually asking questions, right? Just making inane and stupid accusations and then pretending like there's nothing controversial at all with his endless question marks, right?

Anyway. Blah.
the_doctor

Sep 17, 2013
9:14 AM EDT
Do too many cooks spoil the Linux broth?

No.

Does the ability to copy-and-paste make Jim Lynch a real journalist?
skelband

Sep 17, 2013
12:23 PM EDT
Being the local grammar nazi, my ire is regularly raised by the standard of English here (in Canada) by signwriters.

Spelling is atrocious (must get that right, just one 't') and two particular examples that are regularly seen here are: "How to pay for parking?" and "Unpaid goods not permitted beyond this point".

Since when is "How to pay for parking" a question and since when did we start paying goods?
jdixon

Sep 17, 2013
4:45 PM EDT
> ...and since when did we start paying goods?.

Since people became considered goods to be bought and sold? Or perhaps I should say again became.
Bob_Robertson

Sep 18, 2013
8:39 AM EDT
I remember the first time I heard an economist talking about the provisioning of "bads".

I mean, I'd heard the term "goods" my entire life, it never occurred to me to consider "bads".

But then, philosophy is best when it's a bit surprising.
dinotrac

Sep 18, 2013
10:02 AM EDT
No wonder my goods never make it to me.
Bob_Robertson

Sep 18, 2013
11:23 AM EDT
Dino, did you get your bads?
notbob

Sep 19, 2013
12:06 PM EDT
> forum posts that consistently misspell the word "just".

Arrrgh!.....

Any scurvy dog would know that's me own special encryption indy-kate-'n tis really me self carv'n them words on the plank.

(BTW, fer yooz clueless swabs, today is Talk Like a Pirate Day ;)
dinotrac

Sep 19, 2013
12:43 PM EDT
I always get my bads. They find a way. Must be related to telemarketers and creditors.
mbaehrlxer

Sep 19, 2013
10:33 PM EDT
if an error is repeated often enough it becomes a new grammar/spelling rule.

greetings, eMBee.
helios

Sep 23, 2013
12:02 PM EDT
if an error is repeated often enough it becomes a new grammar/spelling rule.

That's irregardless of who's making the error...
gus3

Sep 23, 2013
12:25 PM EDT
*ch-ching*

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!