Diaspora?

Story: 100% Free Software, really useable alternative to Facebook, Gmail etc..Total Replies: 6
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Sep 18, 2013
2:35 PM EDT
I think I need to go back and read the article again, just wondering if Diaspora is any part of it...
mfioretti

Sep 18, 2013
3:14 PM EDT
Hi Bob,

Thanks for your interest in my proposal.

The phase 1, if it actually happens, _may_ conclude that percloud should include/reuse Diaspora or parts of it. However, percloud is a completely _separate_ proposal/project, with a different focus and, above all, attitude. Please see the "What about the FreedomBox, Diaspora..." FAQ at http://per-cloud.com for the details.
Bob_Robertson

Sep 18, 2013
3:46 PM EDT
I'm quite interested, I assure you. Thank you for the pointer, I missed that one.

Edit: I see that my point about Diaspora being possibly only a part of the whole is obvious to everyone, and I'm not adding anything to the discussion.

One of my disappointments with Diaspora is that it didn't end up being as easily distributed as the original thrust entailed. I don't want to log into someone else's machine, I want to peer my own server with other's servers.

mfioretti

Sep 18, 2013
4:02 PM EDT
"I want to peer my own server with other's servers."

This would happen by federation via pump.io and/or similar standards. Studying how to actually implement /integrate that would be one of the bigger part of phase 1, if it gets funded.
mfioretti

Sep 20, 2013
6:26 AM EDT
Bob, and everybody else interested in this: I just put online this 10-slides explanation of how the percloud would work. Feedback is very welcome, of course:

http://www.slideshare.net/mfioretti/percloud-in-10slides
Bob_Robertson

Sep 20, 2013
8:40 AM EDT
Thank you.
mfioretti

Sep 24, 2013
6:15 AM EDT
a friend just put online an italian translation of the percloud indiegogo page. Everybody who is willing to contribute translations to other languages, please say so by email at marco@digifreedom.net, thanks

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!