Quite sad...

Story: HP no longer playing by Microsoft, Intel rules, exec saysTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
shem

Oct 12, 2013
8:47 AM EDT
...how Linux isn't mentioned even once! :´(

(ya, ya, I saw they had tagged it with Linux... not quite the same)
jdixon

Oct 12, 2013
9:50 AM EDT
Ubuntu is mentioned. Or are you saying that Ubuntu isn't Linux anymore?
vagabondo

Oct 12, 2013
10:36 AM EDT
> Or are you saying that Ubuntu isn't Linux anymore?

About as much as Android and ChromeOS?

BernardSwiss

Oct 12, 2013
4:03 PM EDT
It's not that bad (yet).

*) Upstart was well within the GNU/Linux envelope and traditions.

*) The same can be said for the Unity desktop environment -- despite its various issues.

*) Canonical taking Ubuntu taking Ubuntu on its on path with Mir (as opposed to Wayland) could be the clear inflection point/point of departure.

But it's probably too soon to say with certainty -- it's partly a matter opinion and expectations, and much will depend on the specifics of how things go from there. It might end up like Android -- sort of, technically, real Linux, but for many largely somewhat incompatible with the mainstream, requiring specialized, Ubuntu-centric knowledge to tinker with it, or to adapt mainstream tools and applications to work with it.

caitlyn

Oct 20, 2013
10:46 AM EDT
I think Linux isn't mentioned because many companies view the name "Linux" as poison in terms of sales. (There is plenty of evidence to the contrary, but that doesn't change the perception some have.) If you rebrand it as ChromeOS or Ubuntu or HP's next gee-whiz brand it's much more marketoid friendly.
gus3

Oct 20, 2013
11:42 AM EDT
If the name "Linux" is poison, it's because Marketing and Legal mis-handled it.
Fettoosh

Oct 20, 2013
12:20 PM EDT
I think it is more because of the growing pains and all the FUD that accompanied it. Let's not forget the role MS and its lackeys played in trashing Linux OS.

caitlyn

Oct 20, 2013
12:44 PM EDT
Quoting:I think it is more because of the growing pains and all the FUD that accompanied it
Agreed. Also, most marketing people are not tech savvy. They often believe the FUD and therefore believe they cannot market Linux.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!