For what it's worth....

Story: The Navy’s newest warship is powered by LinuxTotal Replies: 14
Author Content
Ridcully

Oct 19, 2013
6:32 AM EDT
I'm ex-Royal Australian Navy - even if it is now some 30 years since I wore the uniform. Once I became aware of Linux and used it exclusively circa 2000, I became increasingly horrified that any Defence vessel, aircraft or weapons system should rely on a Windows platform. My biggest nightmares were those of a submarine suddenly confronted with blue screens of death while at maximum depth. Little by little, Linux is shifting Microsoft's software out of defence systems which thereby obtain the security, reliability and speed of the FOSS operating system, together with the ability to modify the source code as desired.

Some time back, the UK authorities changed their nuclear submarines over from Unix to Windows....comparative security to ......well, we all know the rest of that sentence. It's great to see the US leading the way with Linux software. Well done indeed.
the_doctor

Oct 19, 2013
11:46 AM EDT
The US Department of Defense has developed and been using its own Linux distro for years:

Quoting:Lightweight Portable Security (LPS) is a Linux LiveCD, (or LiveUSB), developed and publicly distributed by the United States Department of Defense’s Software Protection Initiative that is designed to serve as a secure end node. It can run on almost any Intel-based computer (PC or Mac). LPS boots only in RAM, creating a pristine, non-persistent, end node. It is capable using Common Access Card (CAC) software for authentication into DoD networks.

LPS-Public turns an untrusted system (such as a home computer) into a trusted network client. No trace of work activity (or malware) can be written to the local computer hard drive. As of September 2011 (version 1.2.5), the LPS public distribution includes a smart card-enabled Firefox browser supporting DoD's CAC and Personal Identity Verification (PIV) cards, a PDF and text viewer, Java, a file browser, remote desktop software (Citrix, Microsoft or VMware View), an SSH client, the public edition of Encryption Wizard and the ability to use USB flash drives. A Public Deluxe version is available that adds OpenOffice.org and Adobe Reader software.

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Portable_Security

For more info see:

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=lps

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/linux-distribution-light...

http://spi.dod.mil/lipose.htm
Ridcully

Oct 19, 2013
5:22 PM EDT
Quite true, "the_doctor" - I have known of these things for several years. I also believe I have read that Linux is being deployed (not as a cd) in some sort of personnel packs for field work, and also in the control systems for the drones used in Afghanistan/Pakistan.

What I hoped to imply by my first post, but obviously didn't, was that this is the first example I have seen of an entire ship running on Linux - this is no CD, this is the ship's master computer running on the Linux OS. There may be other similar examples and if you know of more, I'd be very interested to learn of them....For instance, is the US Dept of Defence running Linux and FOSS in its offices ? It would make a lot of sense if it was.
the_doctor

Oct 19, 2013
5:41 PM EDT
I remember this from a few years ago:

Quoting:Among the budget cuts California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has proposed to health care, prison, environment, and other parts of the state budget, there's one area that has a good chance of actually getting a budget increase: open source in IT.

According to a policy letter (PDF) issued last week by California CIO Teri Takai, "the use of Open Source Software (OSS) in California state government [has now been formally established] as an acceptable practice."

But I never heard much about it after that. It sure is nice to see the government saving the tax payers some money for a change.

And just call me Doc. Everyone at my LUG does (Freeing the world, one computer at a time). ;)
Bob_Robertson

Oct 21, 2013
9:20 AM EDT
I've often wondered why the entire Fed.Gov doesn't run SELinux.
gus3

Oct 21, 2013
11:18 AM EDT
I'm still wondering why it isn't criminal malfeasance to run MS Windows.
Bob_Robertson

Oct 21, 2013
12:09 PM EDT
> why it isn't criminal malfeasance to run MS Windows

It _is_, it just isn't prosecuted.

It's amazing that stockholders haven't filed a lawsuit, or rather no lawyer has filed a class-action lawsuit against one of these endless companies who get hacked for running Windows, a system known to be vulnerable.

Ridcully

Oct 21, 2013
6:19 PM EDT
At a guess, Gus3 and Bob_Robertson (and it really IS a guess, because I've never read the thing in full and haven't seen one for over 10 years), I'd reckon Microsoft has it all sewn up in the EULA.....you probably cannot sue Redmond for a single thing......they take your money, but you take the risks. It's just a guess, but I'd lay money on it.
BernardSwiss

Oct 21, 2013
7:13 PM EDT
I've heard that, when all the boiler-plate is analyzed, Microsoft can't be held responsible for more than the cost of the media -- about USD$5).

On rare occasions, small commercial entities have released their EULAs in plain English:

http://www.oocities.org/heartland/plains/4188/sw_doc.html

and here, the same Lisense Agreement and accompanying Disclaimer, with pictures of the original hard-copy:

http://greensboring.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13513

Bob_Robertson

Oct 22, 2013
8:47 AM EDT
Who said anything about suing Microsoft?

I mean any company who would use Windows for customer data cannot claim ignorance of Windows' vulnerability.
Ridcully

Oct 22, 2013
9:08 AM EDT
Bob_Robertson.....would you believe I realised exactly the point you are making ONLY after I had submitted my last post on this thread. What you are suggesting is a very interesting "inverse" culpability which penalises the firms that deliberately use the faulty software.....and the rest then follows. I wonder if it could be done.
Bob_Robertson

Oct 22, 2013
10:44 AM EDT
Certainly it _could_ be done. Using Windows has been so vulnerable for so long that any company still using it must have made a deliberate choice to ignore that vulnerability.

And just like the supposed $5 piece that would have stopped the 72 pinto from rupturing its fuel tank on impact, any deliberate choice that increases the hazard of the product or service means culpability.

Just for the record, I think the 72 pinto lawsuit was absurd, since if someone wanted a Mercedes they would have bought a Mercedes, but when the alternative to Windows is CHEAPER as well as more secure, even that argument is defenestrated.
gus3

Oct 22, 2013
1:57 PM EDT
"Due diligence" doesn't include asking if a company is using Windows, apparently.
Bob_Robertson

Oct 22, 2013
2:43 PM EDT
Anyone know a securities lawyer?
gus3

Oct 22, 2013
2:46 PM EDT
(who will admit to it)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!