#1 is Smart Scopes???

Story: Ubuntu 13.10: 8 Solid Reasons to UpgradeTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
r_a_trip

Oct 23, 2013
5:36 AM EDT
Really? Smart Scopes? That would be my #1 reason to not touch it with a ten foot barge pole. Canonical can keep claiming that it is an ease-of-use feature, but this is a thinly veiled intrusion to get in-OS advertising (and possibly user data mining) in front of their userbase. You got to make money somehow from all those Ubuntistas who don't pay a dime otherwise.
jdixon

Oct 23, 2013
6:23 AM EDT
Oh, I agree with him that there are at least 8 reasons to upgrade.

Personally, I'm planning to upgrade my Dell Mini 9 to Debian when I find the time. If that doesn't work out for any reason, I'll put Slackware on it. I consider both upgrades from any current version of Ubuntu.
r_a_trip

Oct 23, 2013
7:48 AM EDT
Jdixon, you might want to look into Manjaro as well. It is Arch based and I am using it currently to great satisfaction.
jdixon

Oct 23, 2013
8:39 AM EDT
I'll have to throw it on a virtual machine and check it out, r_a_trip. But as with everything at the moment, I have to find time. :(
r_a_trip

Oct 23, 2013
9:24 AM EDT
Ah, time, that elusive property of existence that seems to dwindle ever faster with the increase of age. Manjaro is fast though, so that makes up for it somewhat :)
tmx

Oct 24, 2013
5:51 AM EDT
If you think SmartScopes is bad you haven't tried Windows 8 Start screen.

But you can install the package "classicmenu-indicator" which puts a full fledged no-nonsense menu bar to system tray. It doesn't fix how cr@ppy the Nautilus file explorer is though. The best way to use Ubuntu is to install Kubuntu or other derivatives like Xubuntu. Ubuntu is trying to be Mac OS and Windows 8 at the sametime.
JaseP

Oct 24, 2013
11:54 PM EDT
Quoting: The best way to use Ubuntu is to install Kubuntu or other derivatives like Xubuntu.

Yes... This.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!