Untitled

Story: Apple's free OS is no threat to Linux, says TorvaldsTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
habernir

Oct 23, 2013
12:50 PM EDT
until osx won't be available for PC it will never be a threat for linux and windows.
Bob_Robertson

Oct 23, 2013
3:55 PM EDT
OSX is no threat to Linux on my desktop regardless.

I have been spoiled by "free as in Freedom" since the start.
gus3

Oct 23, 2013
4:21 PM EDT
Apple's "free OS" is all but useless without the proprietary user-space crud...

... which Apple will deign to let you use, for the right quid, you worthless worm.
CFWhitman

Oct 23, 2013
5:29 PM EDT
@gus3 I think you are confusing the actual open source/Free software part of OS X with the announcement yesterday that the newest full version of OS X will, for the time being at least, be given away free of charge. At present it appears that there will be no more charges for upgrades of the operating system for Mac users. Of course, since the OS is difficult to use on anything other than a true blue Mac from Apple, that won't mean much of anything to the rest of the world.
BernardSwiss

Oct 23, 2013
6:45 PM EDT
But even if you're a Mac user, will long will you still be able to upgrade, even though your hardware is still working perfectly well?

I'm given to understand that, if you own an "older" device which Apple has decided is "too old" now, regardless of how well it still works, you can't "upgrade" the OS regardless of whether it's $free or $29.99.

(If Apple has changed this "obsolescent by design" policy as well, I've yet to hear anything about it).
DrGeoffrey

Oct 23, 2013
7:13 PM EDT
Why all this worry about what Apple does or does not do? Aren't they are even less relevant than MS?
jdixon

Oct 23, 2013
7:54 PM EDT
> But even if you're a Mac user, will long will you still be able to upgrade

You can always upgrade to Linux. :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!