Solar

Story: Trouble-shooting a VoIP ModemTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
penguinist

Nov 08, 2013
12:44 PM EDT
Ridcully, you are really getting me motivated to plan a solar project.
Ridcully

Nov 08, 2013
6:01 PM EDT
Go for it, Penguinist.....but do read the first article, "How long is a piece of string ?" first. There are so many things I'd like to say about it, but remember you do sometimes sacrifice convenience for independence.....I have been checking deep cycle batteries, cleaning terminals and topping up battery water every couple of months for so long now, it seems normal.....It's an adventure, never doubt it.....but look, if a 70.5 year old person can handle it and enjoy doing it, so can anybody else. You are dead right about one thing though: plan it carefully. Good hunting.
penguinist

Nov 08, 2013
10:47 PM EDT
I've been hearing that once the Chinese got into some serious solar panel production, the price of the panels has dropped through the floor.
penguinist

Nov 08, 2013
11:03 PM EDT
I'm seeing $0.84 per watt if you buy a pallet of 25 panels. That price along with all the tax incentives are starting to make this look like we've crossed the (ahem) power curve, with solar.
theboomboomcars

Nov 09, 2013
1:01 AM EDT
Panels sure are getting inexpensive these days, unfortunately charge controllers and inverters are still pretty pricey.
Ridcully

Nov 09, 2013
4:01 AM EDT
Dead right "theboomboomcars"......a 40Amp battery bank/solar panel current controller is at least A$400.......these prices are appalling........The Chinese need to get on board with these items as well. They probably have, but I don't know of them as yet. Inverters are still pricey, but not as much as you might think. Retail new I've seen a price of about A$3400, but we traded our older one in and got an overhauled and updated SE32 for $500.. Once you have broken into the market, it's pretty good as long as what you are trading in is still running.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!