Looks like I will have to strike out on my own

Story: openSUSE 13.1 KDE ReviewTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
Ridcully

Nov 25, 2013
4:07 AM EDT
These reviews of openSUSE and KDE are great....I use the OS and have done now for over 10 years, and while I may sit in my cave as a SUSE Neanderthal in some people's opinion, the OS is a darn good one, it is well engineered and I am very familiar with its quirks. But these reviews are general and they leave some of the "nitty-gritty" out.....one of which is still a mainstay of my daily life on the desktop.

Right.....my fear, (with a new openSUSE and KDE version) as always is: Will KMail work ? What will I have to do in order to get KMail to work ? How have the developers changed it this time ? What interesting lurks and differences will I find that prevent me from using it the way I want to use it ?

I have no idea this time around and I have yet to download the installation disk...but it is almost time to spring into action and produce some sort of user's guide to belting KMail into a format that is actually useable on a daily basis on the desktop, rather than the bells and whistles thing that the developers "think" I want to use..... I go for sheer simplicity.....I don't want appointments, calendars, Kontact, Nepomuk, etc. I think I am forced to accept Akonadi (or Personal Information Manager, because if you don't keep it working, KMail stops - or at least that is what I think happens) and that annoys me as well.......

I shall go away and meditate upon it......and sample some very nice red wine and cheese to soothe my rampant spirits. LOL :-)
gus3

Nov 25, 2013
11:17 AM EDT
If your last two full-length articles on LXer are any indication of your typical documentation-writing style, I can hardly wait!
penguinist

Nov 25, 2013
11:35 AM EDT
Ahhh, an in-depth and user oriented distro review. Outstanding!

I've also noticed that the typical review that you see floating around the web seems to focus on such on-the-surface factors as background graphics, choice of pre-installed packages, and default configuration settings, all of which are user changeable and are therefore basically irrelevant to an experienced user.

What is important, as you say so well, is how that distro meets your needs and helps you to get your day's work finished efficiently, and how much work you need to do in order to "beat that distro into submission".

Now then, are you also going to recommend a nice red wine for us to enjoy while we sit back and read your review? :-)
Ridcully

Nov 25, 2013
5:27 PM EDT
Me an' my big mouf !! 'Spose I'll have to do it now.....but NOT immediately. At the time Penguinist, it was a "Dolce Rosso" (semi-sweet red) and a small piece of well matured "tangy" cheese. But I also go for Cabernet Merlot.

Seriously for a moment....even a very good Linux friend of mine (whom I have rubbed shoulders with for almost 30 years), thinks I am quite idiosyncratic for insisting on using a conventional email client on my own computer instead of something like Gmail......and the "cloud". In his view, I'm awfully old fashioned but I very strongly prefer to have MY files on MY computer where "I" control them and can see exactly what I want to do. The few times I have approached Gmail (and yes, I do have an account that I have not looked at in 3 months - must do so, the guilt, the guilt) it confuses and almost frightens the heck out of me with its complexity and layout. KMail is traditional and simple in its layout and (usually, cross fingers) relatively simple to get back to the formats/layouts that were familiar in KDE3.

And finally, for those that love computer calendars and diaries and all that sort of thing.....I don't. Just behind and to the left of my work area is a traditional Welsh calendar which hangs on the wall and has nice big squares for each date. Appointments and times are written into the date squares on that calendar.....It has never failed me yet. I have three very good overseas friends and each year, each of us sends the other a calendar from our home countries. Beats Kontact hollow if you want the warmth of friendship.
penguinist

Nov 25, 2013
7:03 PM EDT
Hey, computer calendars are great. Just don't put them in one of the NSA's global "clouds".

Ridcully, there is no need to be apologetic to your friend who is enamored by the "cloud". It is he who is behind the times and has not yet realized the implications of exporting your private data into a space that is so easily viewable by prying eyes. I, like you, always run my own email client, but I go a step further, I also run my own email server. My inbox belongs to me.
jdixon

Nov 25, 2013
8:28 PM EDT
If you want web based access to your email, simply set up a imap server for your personal email, set up a secure web server, and install squirrelmail, There are other options, of course, but that's the one I use for my wife's email. Like you, I still use a regular email client. In fact, I'm even more retro than you, in that I normally use elm and only fire up a gui client when I need to read something http based.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!