Classic uninformed Garbage

Story: How To Rip DVDs On Linux OSTotal Replies: 22
Author Content
Jeff91

Dec 02, 2013
10:27 AM EDT
I assume today's big story is based on number of clicks and not content. This article is poorly written and not well researched.

He complains there are less options for ripping DVDs on Linux than on Windows, yet when I talked about the same topic in 2010 there were at least four perfectly valid solutions.

~Jeff Hoogland
penguinist

Dec 02, 2013
10:43 AM EDT
One good thing about this article is that it prompted Jeff91's posting of the link to his points on the same topic. Now I am well armed with techniques.
notbob

Dec 02, 2013
10:44 AM EDT
I guess a lotta non's are reading LXer, lately. Most experienced *nix'ers know to install libdvdcss and one of a half dozen std ripper/burner utilities and yer good. Most distro authors tend to eschew anything that has even a wiff of IP impropriety. Both as a safeguard for themselves and the knowledge that those who choose to cross the line will easily learn how.
jdixon

Dec 02, 2013
12:33 PM EDT
If you simply want a copy of the DVD on your hard drive, then dvdbackup (http://dvdbackup.sourceforge.net/)is a nice command line utility. It doesn't convert to any other format though.
Jeff91

Dec 02, 2013
12:54 PM EDT
@notbob - to be fair, I wrote the post I linked to well over a year before I started up Bodhi :)

~Jeff
notbob

Dec 02, 2013
1:23 PM EDT
@jeff91

I wasn't replying to yer post, in particular. Jes puking up some thoughts. I did read yer link, though, as one can never know too much. I use K3b, but may change as KDE has become quite the pig.
Bob_Robertson

Dec 02, 2013
5:31 PM EDT
dd if=/dev/dvd of=Riders_Of_Doom.iso

Done.

vlc opens and plays .iso images just fine.
Jeff91

Dec 02, 2013
7:25 PM EDT
The term "ripping" a DVD generally includes encoding it to a video format.

~Jeff
jdixon

Dec 02, 2013
9:44 PM EDT
Generally, Jeff, but it's not an absolute requirement. And I'd have trouble arguing that the DVD spec isn't a video/audio format.
the_doctor

Dec 02, 2013
11:26 PM EDT
Quoting:...but what about those running the Linux operating system? The options are far less...

How do I rip thee?

Let me count the ways:

* Handbrake

* OGMRip

* AcidRip

* Arista Transcoder

* DVD95 Converter

* K3b

* K9copy

* Thoggen DVD Ripper

* Brasero

* vobcopy

Just to name a few.
JaseP

Dec 03, 2013
1:22 AM EDT
@ the_doctor: ... Yep!!!
kikinovak

Dec 03, 2013
6:06 AM EDT
@the_doctor: DVD::Rip works nice.
Bob_Robertson

Dec 03, 2013
9:49 AM EDT
Funny, I never was able to get DVD::rip or K9Copy to work well. I'm trying to remember what that Windows program was, that took a 8G dvd and made a 4G image of it so well.

Anyway, Handbrake is a wonderful program.
jdixon

Dec 03, 2013
10:40 AM EDT
> I'm trying to remember what that Windows program was, that took a 8G dvd and made a 4G image of it so well.

DVDShrink?
Bob_Robertson

Dec 03, 2013
12:55 PM EDT
That's it, DVDShrink. Thanks, JD.
CFWhitman

Dec 03, 2013
1:40 PM EDT
It seems like there was a program in Linux that I had success using to shrink DVDs other than K9copy. I think that it was DVD95 Converter (packages are usually called dvd95; the name is a reference to 9 GB and 5 GB (unformatted) DVDs), but I'm not one hundred percent certain. I remember it being very easy to use. These days I usually use a DL disk when I want to make a DVD copy, so I don't need to shrink the image.
Bob_Robertson

Dec 03, 2013
5:11 PM EDT
From the DVD95 Sourceforge page:

Conformément aux dispositions de la loi DADVSI, DVD95 ne contient pas de code permettant de contourner la protection des DVD vidéos, ce qui rend impossible la copie des DVD commerciaux.

Which translates as, "Does not work on encrypted commercial DVDs."
CFWhitman

Dec 04, 2013
10:38 AM EDT
If that's the case, then it must have been something else. Perhaps it was just K9copy that I used. I'm not sure.
kikinovak

Dec 04, 2013
6:10 PM EDT
DVD::Rip seems to be badly packaged on most distributions. It's a bit of a PITA to install on Slackware, but once you got all the dependencies, it works great.
jdixon

Dec 04, 2013
9:17 PM EDT
> It's a bit of a PITA to install on Slackware,

I found that to be a bit of an understatement the last time I tried. :) It's on Slackbuilds.org now, so maybe it would be easier.
kikinovak

Dec 05, 2013
4:15 AM EDT
Yeah, something like 60 dependencies. I intend to include it soon in my extra repository.

http://www.microlinux.fr/mled.php
jdixon

Dec 05, 2013
7:16 AM EDT
> Yeah, something like 60 dependencies

From memory, most of those were other perl modules. So it might be possible to install it from CPAN and eliminate a lot of the headache. But I found other tools that were easier to install and never bothered.
Bob_Robertson

Dec 05, 2013
9:35 AM EDT
I found the old archives, it was the combination of DVDDecrypter and DVDShrink.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!