It's GIMP. Not The GIMP.

Story: GIMP Shmimp, Give Me a BrowserTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
tuxchick

Dec 14, 2013
2:35 AM EDT
And Pixlr is neither open source nor free software, and doesn't have anything to do with Linux. Except that it works in Web browsers on Linux.
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 14, 2013
2:30 PM EDT
(The) GIMP needs a name change worse than anything except maybe Gigolo. Luckily I really don't need Gigolo anymore since Thunar has improved so much in recent releases.

But (The) GIMP? As always, its insistence on obliterating IPTC data in JPGs remains problematic.
DrGeoffrey

Dec 14, 2013
4:39 PM EDT
Yeahbut, Gigolo is just so descriptively accurate.
notbob

Dec 15, 2013
1:35 PM EDT
> its insistence on obliterating IPTC data in JPGs remains problematic.

Yabut ....http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTUwNjY

C'mon gang, cut GIMP some slack. It'll get there. Sure, it's not PS, but it's a whole lot cheaper.
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 15, 2013
5:56 PM EDT
> Yabut ....http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTUwNjY

Free software-wise, you have made my quarter-year! (Can't take glory away from Xfce and Liferea). I am excited, for sure.
AwesomeTux

Dec 16, 2013
3:17 AM EDT
It is "the GIMP" in most cases, neither way is official though (they don't say one way or the other I believe.) In proper English, however -- depending on how you structure your sentence -- "the GIMP" is most accurate simply because the program's actual name is *the* GNU Image Manipulation Program, and so wherever the full name would be used prefaced with "the" so should the acronym.

For example:
Quoting:This is the official GIMP web site.

Would be:
Quoting:This is the official GNU Image Manipulation Program web site.

And:
Quoting:Extensions are separate processes that communicate with the GIMP in the same way that plug-ins do.

Would be:
Quoting:Extensions are separate processes that communicate with the GNU Image Manipulation Program in the same way that plug-ins do.
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 16, 2013
11:39 PM EDT
It isn't GIMP without the 'The.'

Though they are free to change the name entirely.
caitlyn

Dec 19, 2013
5:03 AM EDT
You know what? I don't care what the name is or if they change it slightly. It's an awesome program that probably does 90%+ of what Photoshop does and does it very well indeed at zero cost with open source code.
skelband

Dec 19, 2013
2:17 PM EDT
@caitlyn: Agreed

The most recent versions are pretty awesome. I use it all the time. Does everything I want.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!