Aren't they all pretty much 19.5VDC anyway?

Story: One charger to power nearly every laptop coming from standards groupTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Dec 19, 2013
12:05 PM EDT
Seems easy enough, but will hardware makers give up the lucrative spare/replacement market?
JaseP

Dec 19, 2013
6:13 PM EDT
I have chargers that vary from 12v to 19.5v... They are all over the map... Standardizing would be good, but you know someone will always put out something different.
gus3

Dec 19, 2013
6:40 PM EDT
My Asus is 12V.

Standardizing laptop chargers makes very little sense. Some laptops have hefty power requirements, some can get by with just a steady sip of juice. It isn't like the cell phone market, standardized on mini- and micro-USB.
tuxchick

Dec 20, 2013
12:13 AM EDT
Some kind of standard would be nice. I have a multi-AC adapter that comes with a set of different-sized connectors, and adjustable voltage and polarity. It's kind of unwieldy, but it sure comes in handy.
tuxchick

Dec 20, 2013
12:13 AM EDT
Kind of like this: http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Adapter-15V-18-5V-19-5V/dp/B...
BFM

Dec 20, 2013
12:27 AM EDT
Technically making a voltage like 19.5V and a common plug standard is the way to go. At a standard voltage one only has to make sure the adapter's wattage is sufficient to drive a device. That way vendors could sell their machines with an adaptor tailored for a unit to save costs. Meanwhile we could have high wattage extra supplies that could drive a gaming machine or the one we just bought.
cr

Dec 21, 2013
7:05 PM EDT
I'll be happy so long as they settle on an adapter output voltage high enough that the computer can withstand being powered from a charging automotive system (~+13.7VDC) through nothing but passive filtration. I don't trust my Toshiba to handle that electrical environment, so I daisychain a small inverter into the supplied power-brick; that's two switchers where I should have needed none.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!