you are doing it wrong

Story: The Canopy Initiative compells open source technologies to integrateTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
mbaehrlxer

Jan 09, 2014
3:07 AM EDT
Quoting:Another challenge we faced was that Drupal is a PHP based system and Alfresco is Java based, so it is difficult to find people who can be proficient in both environments. We therefore, for the most part, needed to segment out those two development environments and more or less now have two development teams that work jointly. This can sometimes be cumbersome and can also result in very few individuals who have a full understanding of how the whole system works.
for a proficient programmer, picking up a new language should be no problem. force your teams to merge and be familiar with both environments. it's not hard. it only requires some trust in your developers that they can adapt. if they can't, i'd fire them!

greetings, eMBee.
mrider

Jan 09, 2014
1:56 PM EDT
Quoting:for a proficient programmer, picking up a new language should be no problem. force your teams to merge and be familiar with both environments. it's not hard. it only requires some trust in your developers that they can adapt. if they can't, i'd fire them!

I don't know how I could possibly agree more! If you can only program in one language, then you aren't a programmer. Plain and simple.
Steven_Rosenber

Jan 09, 2014
6:10 PM EDT
You've obviously never worked in a Java shop ...
mrider

Jan 09, 2014
6:33 PM EDT
Yeah, because Visual Basic programmers never have that problem... :)
gus3

Jan 09, 2014
7:16 PM EDT
Java, Visual Basic, COBOL, Fortran, Lisp, Forth, C/C++, OCaml, and Haskell.

These nine people on a committee could never get anything done.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!