I like their results better

Story: DuckDuckGo continues to gain larger audienceTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
mrider

Jan 16, 2014
4:50 PM EDT
I've pretty much given up on Google's "never mind what you searched for, here's what I think you really want" results. I pretty much only use Google for very specific technical terms these days, and then only when DDG falls down on the job.

Never mind the NSA.
jdixon

Jan 16, 2014
5:07 PM EDT
I've had better luck using ixquick than duck duck go, but both are viable alternatives to Google.
DrGeoffrey

Jan 16, 2014
6:32 PM EDT
I prefer startpage. True, it uses Google, but Google isn't tracking me.

Anything to annoy our overlords.
vainrveenr

Jan 17, 2014
12:17 AM EDT
Quoting:I've had better luck using ixquick than duck duck go, but both are viable alternatives to Google.
Quoting:I prefer startpage. True, it uses Google, but Google isn't tracking me.

Both Ixquick and StartPage describe the nearly identical "10 Ways [each search engine] Helps You Take Back Your Privacy" at https://www.ixquick.com/eng/top-ten-ways-ixquick.html and https://www.startpage.com/eng/top-ten-ways-startpage.html respectively.

All three search engines -- DuckDuckGo, Ixquick, and StartPage -- are worthwhile following through.

It may also be worthwhile to remind readers here of RMS's slashdotted prediction of over a year ago regarding the Unity Dash search's "spyware"; 'Richard Stallman: Canonical will be forced to hand over data to various governments' found at http://benjaminkerensa.com/2012/10/12/richard-stallman-canonical-will-be-forced-to-hand-over-data-to-various-governments

gary_newell

Jan 17, 2014
4:33 AM EDT
I still use Google for most searches. I think if the NSA were spying on me the suicide rate of NSA workers would have gone up by now.

Anybody else think "wow that website is bright" when opening the article. "FIERCE CONTENT MANAGEMENT".
CFWhitman

Jan 17, 2014
10:32 AM EDT
mrider wrote:I've pretty much given up on Google's "never mind what you searched for, here's what I think you really want" results.

Well, you've certainly hit on the most annoying aspect of using Google these days.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 17, 2014
10:41 AM EDT
@vainrveenr, Ixquick and StartPage are the same company.
mrider

Jan 17, 2014
12:18 PM EDT
@Gary

As I say, I'm not particularly concerned about the NSA seeing my personal stuff (although I object to it quite strenuously as a concept). I'm quite possibly the most boring person on Earth. If someone from the NSA is monitoring me, then all I can say is "I'm sorry".

My problem is that I rarely get what I want from Google any more. Google was a breath of fresh air when I first discovered them. Now they're so concerned about integrating every bit of information they can get into one profile which is then shaped to guide me where they want me to go, that they rarely provide me with what I want.

TLDR version: I'm no longer impressed with their results.
DrGeoffrey

Jan 17, 2014
3:51 PM EDT
Quoting: I'm quite possibly the most boring person on Earth.

Tenured accounting professor here. I may even exceed your score on the boring scale. (Though almost certainly not in knowledge of Linux.)
tuxchick

Jan 17, 2014
8:33 PM EDT
The whole fierce empire makes me giggle. FierceGovernment, FierceHealthcare, FierceWireless, and on and on... oh wait, I mean it makes me FierceGiggle.
Scott_Ruecker

Jan 17, 2014
9:44 PM EDT
I am in the midst of checking out DuckDuckGo..will tell you how it goes/what I think soon.
montezuma

Jan 18, 2014
10:58 AM EDT
It would be interesting to know how the number of pages indexed affects the "quality" of search results. Google has 40 billion. Bing 14 billion and Duckduckgo uncertain.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!