Linux users, be aware

Story: Calibre 1.20 Is the Ultimate eBook Reader and EditorTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
notbob

Jan 18, 2014
12:37 PM EDT
I recently installed calibre for use with my new Nook Touch. Major disappointment. It may be a good organizer, but absolutely zero help on a linux desktop. I can't dwnld anything from either of my local libraries. Why? They, like most libraries, use Overdrive, which is heavily DRM'd and requires Adopey's Digital Edition (ADE), an equally heavily DRM'd program. Does Adopey make a version for linux? Of course not, you silly! So, basically, my new Nook makes a great dust collector unless I wanna spend waaaay too much for a book from B&N. Amazon? Got me. But, I'll not waste money on a Kindle ebook in the offhand chance calibre will convert another DRM'd format, as calibre happily maintains it will NOT crack DRM in any way. I knew something was screwy when I discovered they pronounce "libre" (as in free) as caliber, like a bullet.
jdixon

Jan 18, 2014
2:46 PM EDT
> ...as calibre happily maintains it will NOT crack DRM in any way...

What calibre maintains and the truth of the matter may differ greatly. Simply google "calibre nook drm" and follow the first few links.

notbob

Jan 18, 2014
5:12 PM EDT
Thnx, kinda. Now all I gotta do is spend more $$$$. Gotta solution to the Overdrive problem? Sorry, I don't do WINE.
jdixon

Jan 18, 2014
6:08 PM EDT
> Thnx, kinda. Now all I gotta do is spend more $$$$.

I understand completely. :)

> Gotta solution to the Overdrive problem?

No. I don't know of any fix for it. I try to avoid anything that requires Adobe drm whenever possible, especially after my wife's initial experiences with it.
CFWhitman

Jan 20, 2014
10:14 AM EDT
I won't use a reader device that doesn't give me the option of DRM free epubs. There are plenty of sources for those on the Internet. When I feel I must settle for a DRM encumbered copy of something, I generally have used Google Play Books because they can be accessed from a regular Web browser. Still I keep the Nook app, the Kindle app, and the Kobo app around just in case, but I don't like being tied to DRM at all, much less that of a certain company.

Generally, I find that there are plenty of public domain books that I still haven't read which are worth reading, but besides the classics I like the occasional foray into slightly more modern science fiction, fantasy, or mystery, so I purchase some new stuff, and I keep my eye out for sources like the Humble E-book Bundle and the Story Bundle (storybundle.com) where I can purchase stuff DRM free. (Edit: Accidentally wrote Humble Story Bundle, and wanted to fix that.)
notbob

Jan 20, 2014
12:50 PM EDT
I've found DRM free stuff. O'Reilly books are DRM free. Also pub-dom classics in the Gutenberg Project. What chaps my hide is the total lock-in of library books. I don't even care if they ARE DRM'd. It's the Windows-only ADE interface that's really thrown a rock in the ebook concept. Apparenly, linux developers have yet to break that stranglehold, so it's either M$/ADE or WINE/ADE, neither choice I find acceptable. As near as I can tell, Calibre contributes absolutely nothing to problem. I can do darn near everything Calibre does, without it. So, what's the point?

I'm also much miffed about the Nook. It's painfully obvious to me I jes plain didn't do my homework. Here's a reader, with wifi, that can't do much of anything other than buy online directly from a B[he]N. A glaring case of "my bad". My solution? Forget ebooks for awhile. At least until there's an Linux Overdrive solution. Besides, I like tree-ware better, anyway. [/he])
jdixon

Jan 20, 2014
2:42 PM EDT
> Here's a reader, with wifi, that can't do much of anything other than buy online directly from a B[he]N.

The Nook should read any epub you copy over to it. Mine shows up as a normal USB drive when I connect it to my Linux box. And it has an SD card slot if that fails. Of course, I got mine (a Nook Simpletouch) for $15+shipping from Cedar PC, so I wasn't taking much of a risk.
notbob

Jan 20, 2014
3:35 PM EDT
Mine, also. None of which need Calibre for much of anything.
theboomboomcars

Jan 20, 2014
3:43 PM EDT
I use Calibre for converting to ebup. I does really well with converting to the different ebook formats. Some of the books I found are in an ebook format that my nook doesn't read, but Calibre converts it over really well then I can read it on my nook.
jdixon

Jan 20, 2014
4:10 PM EDT
> I use Calibre for converting to ebup.

That's the best use I've found for it too. If I were to just happen to have a bunch of Kindle/mobi/lit books from some obscure sources, I suspect it would convert them right over for use on the Nook.
Karst

Jan 22, 2014
12:39 PM EDT
I've been happy with the nook(s) -- both the simple touch and the HD+. The simple touch gives an e-ink screen and incredible battery life and the HD+ is a pretty good tablet.

I have a collection of epub ebooks that work just fine on both. The simple touch shows up as a usb drive when connected, the HD+ as a camera, so I use gphotofs to access it.

Both take a micro SD card. Unfortunately it looks like B&N isn't going to stay in the reader business long, so they probably won't be around when I look for a replacement.

Kindles are right out. No SD card or other expansion is the deal-breaker for me. Right now, it looks like the Kobo is the only thing left if I want e-ink. I'm sure the simple touch will last a few more years, but the collection will be readable on something.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 22, 2014
1:42 PM EDT
I was rather sad that I didn't get a BeBook Neo when they were around.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!