IDGY

Story: Let's talk Linux, but in a language we can all understandTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
notbob

Feb 08, 2014
11:07 AM EDT
.....this person thinks young ppl are unwilling to adapt to Linux cuz of the CLI.

You ever try to read what ppl txt on their cellphones? To imply a person who can type faster --with 2 thumbs, w/o looking, on a number pad!!-- than a lotta ppl can type on a qwerty keyboard, does not want to learn Linux cuz they don't wanna be bothered with CLI, is simply ludicrous. Most txt'rs have learned a txt vocabulary that far surpasses anything a Linux user knows.

OTOH, I can barely txt on my prepaid cell, and it has a full qwerty k/b .....and I'm primarily a CLI guy. I hate the mouse. But, Ima rube on my cell. I can barely figure out how to make a call. Why? I don't care.

I think both young ppl and oldsters do NOT want to be bothered learning Linux. Don't have the time, jes plain don't care. Why change to Linux? Windows works. They'd prolly buy a Mac if it weren't so expensive.

We need to give up this preposterous belief that Linux will ever rule the desktop. It may, if Windows ever ceases to exist. Until that time, I wouldn't hold my breath.

BTW, WTH does etsy have to do with Linux?

BernardSwiss

Feb 08, 2014
3:05 PM EDT
I've always thought that it was Microsoft and Windows that had the funny -- and confusing -- vocabulary. Even though I started with DOS and Windows.

And it's only gotten worse. "Charm bar"? Seriously?
CFWhitman

Feb 10, 2014
10:00 AM EDT
Just for information's sake, "etsy" is a reference to the way some people refer to the /etc directory. I say "ee-tee-cee," but I've heard people say "etsy" before.
jdixon

Feb 10, 2014
10:11 AM EDT
> Just for information's sake, "etsy" is a reference to the way some people refer to the /etc directory

I've always called it et set, since etc is short for et cetera.
gus3

Feb 10, 2014
1:28 PM EDT
And "etcetera" was too long a directory name for original Unix. "bin", "usr", and "lib" followed suit, of course.

(caveat lector, this statement of "fact" is worth exactly what you paid for it)
Bob_Robertson

Feb 10, 2014
2:47 PM EDT
> caveat lector

"May the cannibal beware"?

or, "Beware the cannibal"?
TxtEdMacs

Feb 10, 2014
7:23 PM EDT
Quoting:> caveat lector

"May the cannibal beware"?

or, "Beware the cannibal"?

Depends what's on the menu that night ... if you are named, I suggest a extremely polite but rapid exit.

YBT
gus3

Feb 10, 2014
7:49 PM EDT
Reminds me of the line from "Finding Neverland":

"Can we have Mr Barrie for dinner?"
gary_newell

Feb 11, 2014
4:44 AM EDT
Ah so that is what people mean by etsy. been bugging me for ages.

I always referred to it as etcetera or ee tee cee
notbob

Feb 11, 2014
11:52 AM EDT
> Ah so that is what people mean by etsy. been bugging me for ages.

Who knew? I've never even heard the word, other than Etsy.com. Looking that up reveals it comes from the Italian word for 'oh yes' and the originators of the site jes snagged it for no particular reason other than it sounded good. '/etc' has always been etcetera, in my book.
Bob_Robertson

Feb 11, 2014
12:58 PM EDT
I've used "slash ee tee see" myself.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!