Why?

Story: Five reasons I'd rather run Windows 8 than LinuxTotal Replies: 19
Author Content
kikinovak

Feb 09, 2014
6:05 AM EDT
Why does LXer even bother to link to that nonsense?
Ridcully

Feb 09, 2014
6:32 AM EDT
It was a slow day......................................

Besides, it gives people the chance to become indignant and enjoy themselves saying how much nonsense it is. Oh I agree, that it's not exactly the most erudite of articles, but you can't defeat the enemy unless you know how they think.......or......looking at this article, do we REALLY want to know how they think ? Sorry.....I'm feeling a little flippant at the moment.....no worries......and no offence intended...... :-)

Y'know, I get really mad at the auto spell checker sometimes.....It tries to force me to use the horrible American spelling for words instead of the "genteel British spelling".....I spell it "offence" and the USA insists it is spelled "offense". Sigh.....Oh well, I guess we can tolerate the foibles of these ex-colonialists.........or just ignore them.....There.....that should stir the possum and I'll get out of here before the first boot is thrown.
Francy

Feb 09, 2014
7:16 AM EDT
Well, it is excellent reading material, in case....... -->that you want to start an argumenr yourself....all is prepared! -->that you un-expectedly land up in an argument...all is prepared! -->other.......all is prepared for you. No thinking required....just go to ZDnet - smile -

What do you want more? :-)
flufferbeer

Feb 09, 2014
12:58 PM EDT
@kinkinovak

> Why does LXer even bother to link to that nonsense?

Seems to me also that this is a WTH article (violation of TOS to substitute that H w/ another letter ;} ) designed from the getgo to rouse us up from our pro-Linux complacency. Probably not working as intended, at least so far.

2c
andrews51

Feb 09, 2014
1:02 PM EDT
@Ridcully: I'm one of those stupid spelling challenged Americans... However, I have a bit of a reverse problem. You see, I read a lot of Tolkien when I was growing up -- A LOT of Tolkien... And I still have trouble understanding why the American grey is spelled gray...
number6x

Feb 09, 2014
1:46 PM EDT
The author clearly makes the point that most people using Linux don't even no that they're using it. It works so seamlessly and flawlessly, that the users don't even know it's there.

Then the author goes on to explain how he had 'given up' on Linux because it was so complex to run and time consuming to run.

From this I conclude that the author has cognitive abilities well below those of the average human beings abilities.
JaseP

Feb 09, 2014
3:11 PM EDT
The author gives all "social" reasons, and no technical reasons why not to use Linux. It's the textbook definition of troll-bait. I choose to ignore him...
andrews51

Feb 09, 2014
3:26 PM EDT
@JaseP: That's because there are no technical reasons why MS Windows might be superior to GNU/Linux. The only two reasons for one or the other to be dominant are: 1. Social reasons. 2. Nearly all consumer PCs come with MS software already installed.

If not #2, then #1 goes away by default...
Ridcully

Feb 09, 2014
4:08 PM EDT
I'm awake again.......Like I said, it's been fun to show how silly the article really is. I'd say you're probably spot on JaseP - troll-bait; but also an attempt to soothe Microsoft fans into believing that they really are better served by staying with Windows. I wonder if he's on the Redmond payroll ?

@andrews51.....never mind....."gray" is the Webster Dictionary (Encyclopaedia Britannica edition) official version, while "grey" is agreed as an American alternative spelling. Curiously, I find "grey" more apt as correct spelling - it just looks and feels better; but "gray" is British and therefore automatically has to be right.....LOL.......No. Both are equally acceptable depending upon where you stand.
tuxchick

Feb 09, 2014
5:30 PM EDT
Empty clickbait.
gary_newell

Feb 10, 2014
4:33 AM EDT
It is one of those articles whereby if you disagree in anyway then the author can say "See, proves my point, Linux fanboys".

I only need one reason why I'd rather use Linux than Windows 8. Windows 8 just doesn't work.
Bob_Robertson

Feb 10, 2014
9:33 AM EDT
I'm with TC on this one, and thus not clicking. :^)
CFWhitman

Feb 10, 2014
10:22 AM EDT
At one point I wasn't sure if the spelling issues weren't somehow related to the site you were on, but it seems they are totally related to the browser and operating system you are running. I would have thought that if you picked the UK or British English when you were setting up your operating system, then your browser would accept the British variations of spelling as the correct ones while you were typing on a web site.

As someone who does a lot of reading, I think that spell checkers should accept all correct variations of spelling, be they American or Queen's English variations. There are actually a very few odd variations from the British spellings even in Australia, though generally they use the same ones. I'm from America, but I sometimes find myself favoring the British spellings of some words just because of all the reading I've done (including Tolkien, but also Jane Austen, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sir Walter Scott, Baroness Orczy, etc., etc.)
theBeez

Feb 10, 2014
11:31 AM EDT
Again?! We discussed this thing WEEKS ago. Leave that loser alone. No need to bother yourself twice..
gus3

Feb 10, 2014
1:34 PM EDT
Fonetik al ðe wa!

Wi hav "colour," "color," "caller," and "collar?" Kontekst iz mor importent ðan pronunsyeyxun evry taym.
Ridcully

Feb 10, 2014
5:00 PM EDT
All you language experts are now on a higher plane than me.....I think I'll just shove in Queen's English versions come what may.....we all understand them anyhow. Whether it is US or UK, the spelling checker DOES tell me if there is a true error - so I just check 'em all on principle.....And you're dead right Gus3.....it is amazing how context allows a reader to correct an erroneous sentence and end up with intelligible information.
BernardSwiss

Feb 10, 2014
9:40 PM EDT
Well, I seem to recall this David Gewirtz character from a few years ago, when he demonstrated his utter lack of competence in a rant based on his inadvertent trashing of a CentOS server, but also his inability to accept any constructive criticism about where and how he went wrong and how to avoid doing so again.

And he still hasn't learned -- in this post he not only links aforesaid rant, but continues to describe Linux as "cranky and uncooperative".
jdixon

Feb 10, 2014
9:57 PM EDT
> ...but continues to describe Linux as "cranky and uncooperative".

I think this is probably a case of "Linux is user friendly. It's just picky about its friends."
BernardSwiss

Feb 10, 2014
10:29 PM EDT
Linux isn't picky, at all -- it gets along with anyone who's actually interested in getting along.
gus3

Feb 11, 2014
3:50 PM EDT
BernardSwiss, are you saying Linux is, uh, "socially generous"?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!