the first penguin to dive in

Story: Debian technical committee votes for systemd over UpstartTotal Replies: 17
Author Content
gus3

Feb 09, 2014
5:54 PM EDT
Even if you think both systemd and Upstart are re-inventions of the wheel, this move by Debian will prove useful to outside observers. "What will go wrong? What can we learn? Will it sink or swim? Will it get eaten by a shark?"
DrGeoffrey

Feb 09, 2014
7:04 PM EDT
The first? Hardly. Mageia and Sabayon jumped some time ago.
tuxchick

Feb 09, 2014
7:17 PM EDT
I'm rooting for the sharks.
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 09, 2014
7:32 PM EDT
Plenty of distros that aren't Ubuntu have already gone to systemd, so the path is somewhat well trod.
linuxwriter

Feb 09, 2014
9:00 PM EDT
this report is wrong. the technical committee has four votes for upstart and four for systemd. the chairman, bdale garbee, has NOT put in his casting vote yet.
tuxchick

Feb 09, 2014
11:42 PM EDT
I WANT SHARKS
JaseP

Feb 10, 2014
12:22 AM EDT
Sharks with lasers...
BernardSwiss

Feb 10, 2014
12:45 AM EDT
I gather that one of the major counts against Upstart is the Licensing issue (ie. copyright assignment).

How difficult would it be for Debian to just fork Upstart?
kikinovak

Feb 10, 2014
8:29 AM EDT
Looks like the Debian Technical Committee needs a new init system too.

https://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte/2014/02/msg00363.html

:o)
JaseP

Feb 10, 2014
8:43 AM EDT
OUCH! Personally I would applaud them going to systemd. Debian needs to be totally open source...
gus3

Feb 10, 2014
1:26 PM EDT
Okay, so Debian isn't the first penguin to dive in. But I didn't know of the others (or at least make the connection) when this thread's title would have been more appropriate.

@JaseP: Slackware's init is open-source. ;-)
tuxchick

Feb 10, 2014
1:30 PM EDT
Technical flaws can be fixed. License hassles are forever, and Canonical's CLA on Upstart is a pretty big roadblock. Look at the hoops Debian already has to jump through with Firefox/Iceweasel, and that's just to deal with trademarks.
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 10, 2014
1:58 PM EDT
Debian will go with the tide, which is systemd.
Bob_Robertson

Feb 10, 2014
2:49 PM EDT
At least the politicking is over, now it becomes merely a technical issue.
flufferbeer

Feb 10, 2014
3:09 PM EDT
@TC,

> License hassles are forever, and Canonical's CLA on Upstart is a pretty big roadblock.

Yeah, but I'm sure that Canonical has ZERO problems somehow getting its Debian technical committee Baboontu-fanboi infiltraitors to re-apply again and again in the future to keep pushing for their own precious Upstart. I gather that from the article's quote: "Ubuntu uses Upstart and Ubuntu developer at Debian’s TC were, for obvious and appropriate reasons, pushing for Upstart."

There's also the section starting with "Most developers are against Canonical’s Upstart for technical as well as legal reasons...." and going to the very end. I take this as meaning that if the high-up Canonical puppeteer$ so wish, they WILL alter Upstart's technical specs and temporarily "re-adjust" licensing terms, in order that their poisoned CooLAid tastes better and Upstart can be more easily swallowed by the Debian technical committee peons.

My 2c
JaseP

Feb 10, 2014
4:14 PM EDT
@gus3,... Yeah,... But Upstart isn't 100% open source (arguably).
Bob_Robertson

Feb 10, 2014
5:11 PM EDT
Considering the Debian Free Software Guidelines, whether it is really "free" or not should be the first unequivocal test.

Only after that is any consideration of functionality an issue at all.
JaseP

Feb 10, 2014
6:08 PM EDT
I believe that Debian already includes several alternative init systems in its repositories, but that currently sysvinit is "it." Several of the supported ones are (I'm sure) released on completely compatible open source licenses...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!