Same old FUD...

Story: 7 Reasons Not to Use Open Source SoftwareTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
rnturn

Feb 13, 2014
7:38 PM EDT
... we were subjected to 5 years ago, 10 years ago, heck, even 15 years ago. It seems that the IT journalism community, despondent from the lack of "innovations" coming out of Redmond, are recycling the articles they wrote way back when.
gary_newell

Feb 14, 2014
4:36 AM EDT
Point 2. When it is the defacto standard.

Apparently users won't like LibreOffice because it doesn't look exactly like Microsoft Word/Excel etc.

That is nonsense. The ribbon bar is fairly new yet people have learned to use it. (begrudgingly). I would imagine that Word 2003 users would find LibreOffice a lot more familiar than Word 2010.

Jeff91

Feb 14, 2014
10:27 AM EDT
Quoting:Apparently users won't like LibreOffice because it doesn't look exactly like Microsoft Word/Excel

If you read a lot of the work I've done you will know I'm far from a person who will defend Microsoft, but in terms of office products Microsoft Office is still years ahead of LibreOffice in terms the features it offers for complex spreadsheets.

Beyond that, because MS office is used so much more it is easier to find resources for it. The time I spend figuring out who to do something new in LibreOffice is often twice what it takes me to figure out that same new task using the Microsoft product.

For basic word processing, LibreOffice is fine - in fact I used it for five years of college. For just about anything else I'd rather use even Google docs over whatever LibreOffice offers.
gary_newell

Feb 14, 2014
12:32 PM EDT
The XBOX 360, Excel and Visual Studio are Microsoft's best products by far. SQL Server isn't bad either.
Bob_Robertson

Feb 14, 2014
12:37 PM EDT
Long ago, when "Microsoft Office" was first produced, I said that if Microsoft produced Office for Mac, Office for Linux, etc etc etc, Microsoft would have a stranglehold on the Office Suite for a lifetime.

They didn't, and they don't. I agree, Excel is a fantastic tool. I'm sorry they limit who may use it.
penguinist

Feb 14, 2014
2:02 PM EDT
My personal motto is "Freedom first, functionality second".

I'm willing to live with some workarounds in order to stay in the Land of the Free.

I actually have no idea whether Microsoft Excel is good or bad, and frankly, I really don't care. Libre Office serves my purposes quite well and it is Free with a capital F. That puts it an order of magnitude ahead of Excel in my opinion.

By the way, my accountant has no trouble accepting my tax records each year in Libre Office and GnuCash formats.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!