So..

Story: Recommending Linux to a FriendTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
Scott_Ruecker

Feb 24, 2014
2:59 AM EDT
You got yourself in over your head again..;-)

I'm in no way saying I'm innocent I'm just saying, I know that music..
notbob

Feb 24, 2014
11:42 AM EDT
"Linux distros aren’t all the same. "

Well, DUH!! You'd think that all you nice folks who spend ungodly amounts of time jumping from one distro to another would know this, by now. This is precisely why I stick with one distro, in my case, Slackware. It does what I want, so what else do I need. I could waste precious hrs hunting for another perhaps better distro, but better to learn all the foibles and idiosyncrasies of this one distro than running around tearing out hair I no longer possess. BTW, where I once spent hrs manually configuring LPRng for my printer, Slackware now auto detects/configs it. My scanner still requires manual config, but my notes carry me over and it's remains trivial.

The last time I went distro shopping was for my new XP loaded Asus eee netbook. I tried at least eight distros to be run from a flash drive. Despite all the hoopla they all touted, only one worked ....at all!! So much for Linux uniformity. ;)
cr

Feb 25, 2014
9:57 AM EDT
Gee, now I feel lots better about all those silver frisbees with distros on'em I've burned over the years.
notbob

Feb 25, 2014
1:07 PM EDT
I've recently tried one, AVLinux Live disc. Failed to boot. (sigh)

The one I plan on trying, again, is GParted. Last time I tried it, it was a savior. A live CD that would see any and every partition, regardless of FS, and allow full re-sizing of same. Brilliant!

I've still yet to see another distro like the old Caldera Linux. It booted, told you to play tetris while it installed itself, than put you in a perfect desktop when it finished. That was over 15 yrs ago! ;)
flufferbeer

Feb 25, 2014
1:23 PM EDT
@cr

>> Gee, now I feel lots better about all those silver frisbees with distros on'em I've burned over the years.

Just remember that the linux commandline's 'dd if=path-to-iso of=/dev/sdX bs=1M oflag=direct ; sync' onto clean USB thumbdrives is your Friend for the downright SLEW of 750MB+ supersized distros!

My 2c
Scott_Ruecker

Feb 25, 2014
10:24 PM EDT
To Ken in regards to my initial comment..you know I love you right?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!