carrots ?

Story: Nokia launches a trio of Android platform phonesTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
Francy

Feb 24, 2014
10:41 PM EDT
Showing an Android ( Linux) phone to get you to M$ reminds me of showing the donkey a carrot to make him going to where you want him to be. End of Comment !
BernardSwiss

Feb 25, 2014
12:22 AM EDT
{snicker}
notbob

Feb 25, 2014
12:30 AM EDT
That the entire mobile playing field is so dependent on proprietary variants of Linux makes a shocking statement about Linux and the state of OSS. Bloggers keep lamenting the failure of Linux to dominate the desktop, yet all the while painfully ignoring the fact that mobil platforms continue to be ruled by semi-closed source Linux based OSs.

I do NOT begrudge business from making a buck on Linux. It was designed so they could. What kills me is, the OSS Linux community seems to be perfectly content to lay back and accept this current spate of walled garden mobil OSs. WTF happened to a true Linux OS for mobil platforms!? Many projects brag on their delivering such an OS, but, like world peace, it seems I'm gonna wheeze my last breath before it ever arrives. 8|

Ridcully

Feb 25, 2014
2:17 AM EDT
Even a donkey won't eat a rotten carrot. :-)
Bob_Robertson

Feb 25, 2014
9:26 AM EDT
I made the mistake of getting a new phone. I didn't realize that Andriod 4.3 was just as bad (if not worse) than 4.1 with the USB storage being blocked. So it's a matter of rooting the phone (which is deliberately hazardous, bastards) or taking the back cover off every time I want to pull the pictures off.

Well, the third option involves a handgun or ball-peen hammer. That's a distant third due to my inability to throw the cost of the phone away on a principle today.
tmx

Feb 25, 2014
11:56 PM EDT
I don't know what you mean by block. Maybe you are referring to MTP file transferring. All Android 4.2 and newer will utilize MTP.

You can use adb to pull files off the phone (while the phone have USB Debugging enabled): adb pull /sdcard/dcim/ /home/user/pictures/

You can also run Samba on the PC then use ES File Explorer which support Samba and copy the file over that way, albeit very slowly.
BernardSwiss

Feb 26, 2014
3:18 AM EDT
I thought MTP was dead, at last?

(And good riddance. I remember having to re-flash my iRiver mp3 player firmware to proper UMS so I could connect it to my Linux desktop.)
Bob_Robertson

Feb 26, 2014
9:29 AM EDT
TMX, I'll see if I can find that. Hopefully the USB debugging setting will re-appear when USB is plugged in.

Bernard, sadly, it's not dead. 4.0 had USB storage, which was great. I plug the phone into my car stereo, and my sound files were right there for playing.

I've never understood why functionality would be removed from one version to the next.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!