gah lee

Story: Ubuntu Unity to bring back local menusTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
tuxchick

Feb 27, 2014
6:42 PM EDT
They're putting actual functionality into Unity? How weird.
jacog

Feb 28, 2014
6:14 AM EDT
With the emphasis on "funk".
mbaehrlxer

Mar 03, 2014
11:26 AM EDT
hmm, which local menus is the article talking about? from what i read elsewhere i thought it was about allowing to move the apple style menu-bar back to the window where it came from.

at least that is what i understand from "local", as in local to the window. the ribbon is also a local menu.

whereas the applications menu from gnome 2 would be a global menu.

the HUD replaces the global menu to select applications. local menus have not been replaced, only moved to the top.

the worst part here is not the location, but the fact that they are hidden by default and only visible on mouse-over.

this article conflates two different areas of the interface.

anyways, when it comes to HUD vs gnome 2 style app menu, i prefer the HUD, simply because for me the alternative is usually to start programs from a terminal command-line. that's just faster than having to navigate through a 3-level deep menu with entries so small that i have to navigate the mouse very carefully to open the right sub-menu and not loose it again and then hit the right entry.

btw: i am using unity since a few weeks on a machine at work, and i found it is not so bad. this is probably because unity is actually compiz, and i am using compiz (with gnome 2) on my other machines. i get to use the same key-shortcuts and most behavior that i have come to expect from using compiz is still the same. including compiz detailed configurability.

this is quite different from gnome 3 that i just put up on a test machine (i only played a few minutes with it and i already find it much worse than unity.

greetings, eMBee.
cr

Mar 03, 2014
12:42 PM EDT
> simply because for me the alternative is usually to start programs from a terminal command-line. that's just faster than having to navigate through a 3-level deep menu with entries so small that i have to navigate the mouse very carefully to open the right sub-menu and not loose it again and then hit the right entry.

I like the TDE / KDE3.5 way: a right-click anywhere on the desktop, a left-click on 'Execute Command', both by muscle-rote, and I can launch anything I can type, and the launcher confirms I didn't mistype the name by showing its icon, if any, before I hit return... and it's got history so I only have to type it once for repeated runs That's if I don't feel like selecting it out of the menu tree ("What else have I got under Graphics besides GIMP for doing this little image tweak?").

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!