Are you kidding me!?

Story: Prison Architect, A Prison Building Sim Alpha 18 LaunchedTotal Replies: 23
Author Content
notbob

Mar 04, 2014
12:16 PM EDT
Is this a joke? Since when has incarcerating one's fellow man and becoming their custodian become equated to " really fun features"? Why not cut right to the chase and mash-up Prison Architect with Farmville. They can call it Slaves. Sweet Jesus on the cross.....

Ya' know, we as a species really do deserve to become extinct. So far, we appear to be right on schedule. ;)
Bob_Robertson

Mar 04, 2014
12:47 PM EDT
Indeed, not my idea of a nurturing environment.
DrGeoffrey

Mar 04, 2014
6:12 PM EDT
I believe Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens) once said April 1st was a day named for mankind.
Ridcully

Mar 04, 2014
6:37 PM EDT
How's about thinking on the fact that so many of the "games" concentrate on explode, kill, destroy, obliterate, chainsaw, guns, weapons, war........?? Personally, I see little difference. It is not a nurturing environment either.
Francy

Mar 04, 2014
10:27 PM EDT
You only found out now ?

:-)

:-)

Francy

Mar 04, 2014
10:45 PM EDT
Did you ever think < why > there are so many shooting games out there ?

Did you ever think < why > so many kids play those games ?

Did you ever think < why > so many parents allow their kids to waste their time ?

Did you ever think < why > we can't stop it ?

Did you ever think < why > the National Average IQ of many Nations is going downhill ?

Does it has anything to do with < the chicken and the egg > ?

OK, this is not directly Linux related , but .......?
Ridcully

Mar 05, 2014
12:45 AM EDT
Perhaps we all ought to sit back and take deep breaths and think Linux again.
Francy

Mar 05, 2014
1:00 AM EDT
consider it done ! Attacking a Mammoth wit a pencil will result in nothing anyway.
jacog

Mar 05, 2014
3:59 AM EDT
Prison Architect is a management and building sim. It's well thought out and does not in any way try to glorify violence etc. They're working their way up Maslow's hierarchy of needs. Plus the game is developed by a UK studio. Prisons in the UK do not have the same stigma attached as ones in the US. The game is not about punishment etc, but more about managing resources and constructing an environment where prisoners have all their basic needs met. (with the exception of leaving the premises, of course)

And notbob - when a someone sexually assaults my neighbour's teenage daughter at a party, he stops being my "fellow man".

"Did you ever think < why > the National Average IQ of many Nations is going downhill ?" - Because shoddy education?
Francy

Mar 05, 2014
7:22 AM EDT
........Because shoddy education?

No, because the kids spend 3 times more time on games than doing their home work, who-ever or what-ever is the culprit
notbob

Mar 05, 2014
8:38 AM EDT
> Prison Architect is a management and building sim.

"really fun feature":

"Armoury upgrades - You can now purchase additional weapons....."

I don't recall needing weapons when I was in the building or drafting trades.
jacog

Mar 06, 2014
5:24 AM EDT
Francy:

Finland: no homework, smartest kids http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB120425355065601997

Games boost cognitive ability: http://www.npr.org/2010/12/20/132077565/video-games-boost-br...

And finally, Jane McGonical putting into much better words than I can, why playing games is not a waste of time: https://vimeo.com/16227360

notbob: You're cherry-picking your interpretations of things in order to make lousy straw-man arguments. I'd rather not bother to engage in discussion with you any further.
Francy

Mar 06, 2014
6:32 AM EDT
jacog

Thank you for the links.

I will forward them to the Ministry of Education.

I am sure they will be able to save the country now.

jacog

Mar 06, 2014
6:54 AM EDT
Can't save anyone that does not wish to be saved.
jdixon

Mar 06, 2014
7:15 AM EDT
> I will forward them to the Ministry of Education.

As I've said in the past, education is too important to be left in the hands of the government.
notbob

Mar 06, 2014
6:24 PM EDT
> I'd rather not bother to engage in discussion with you any further.

Like I give a rat's patoot. As for cherry picking my interpretations, that's typically what constitutes the basis of personal opinions. Duh.
lietkynes

Mar 06, 2014
7:28 PM EDT
I guess I have to quit my PhD in materials science because I play videogames. FUD about videogames? I guess FUD is always related to linux.

Pay attention to and inspire the young people around you, instead of blaming technology and entertainment. methinks...or we can also start burning books while we are at it.
gary_newell

Mar 07, 2014
4:37 AM EDT
I learned to program because of videogames.

I was disappointed when I completed Manic Miner the first time and wanted to add more levels. So I wrote a homebrew version of Manic Miner in my bedroom with extra levels. It wasn't great but it taught me how to program and got me enthused.

Now I sit in a cubicle all day looking at blue walls. life is good

Ridcully

Mar 07, 2014
5:57 AM EDT
I remember my childhood activities and games.......we lived in the mountain country of south eastern Queensland - subtropical rainforests and steep mountains; and one game in particular (over a period of about two months) was that I built, by hand, my own "national park" through walls and corridors of of 15 foot high lantana scrub. It had paths, lookouts, scenic views (well it did to me) and I put cardboard sign posts at the "intersections".......all because I had recently been taken on a visit to Lamington National Park and it fired my imagination. Remember that word: "imagination".

Games to me were things you actually physically did.....not sitting in a chair, and they required imagination....not being given a visual item complete......No matter how you cut it, to me, sitting in front of a screen clicking on a mouse or summat else, is NOT a game.......especially when all you are doing in some video amusement packages is training your fingers to click faster so you can kill faster......hello carpel tunnel syndrome and other tendonitis problems.

Yeah......I'm out of date I suppose, but books still remain a favoured amusement for me.....you have to use your imagination, and I seriously believe that is the skill we are losing through video "games"......the world of the imagination; if you use it, it beats all the rest completely.
gary_newell

Mar 07, 2014
9:13 AM EDT
"you have to use your imagination, and I seriously believe that is the skill we are losing through video "games""

I don't know. I have found some fairly elaborate ways to kill people on Grand Theft Auto.
jacog

Mar 07, 2014
9:48 AM EDT
Imagination, you say?

Minecraft, a game about harvesting resources and creating things. Used in classrooms to teach kids, helping autistic children to function normally and used in third-world countries where kids reconstruct their neighbourhoods in-game, and then design improvements to it, which then actually get done. A game that includes a turing-complete circuitry system, which at least one nutter has used to create a fully functional 16-bit cpu with.

And there's just people who build lovely things, like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37s74fr3maw

This is a bit on the long side, but here's a documentary on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySRgVo1X_18

There's a stigma attached to games that people who don't care to understand will forever perpetuate. It makes me a sad fish.

Here's a study conducted by Michigan State University that show kids who play games are more creative than those who don't: http://news.msu.edu/media/documents/2011/11/33ba0f16-a2e9-4d...

And this, gamers solve in 10 days a problem that took scientists 14 years: http://www.npr.org/2011/10/02/140979241/when-scientists-fail...

Kerbal Space Program is a game about building space craft and getting them into orbit and to other planets. NASA is using it now to give players a chance to try their hand at performing asteroid missions: http://www.joystiq.com/2014/03/06/nasa-taps-kerbal-space-pro...

And it has also been shown that games can help prevent cognitive decline in the elderly.
Francy

Mar 07, 2014
10:25 AM EDT
jacog

The fact that one can prove something ( good/bad) on a study group of 1000 people living in a western country, does not mean that it is true for the other 100.000 people who did not take part in that study , and do live in an other continent and other culture.

While the links provided by you are extremely interesting, I think I will be able to moot half of the findings in those studies.

However, the tone of this conversation somehow reminds me of another conversation which is going on here < life > , where group 1 is ready to kill group 2, ( in real and going for month 4) and I will call it a day .

However, thanks again for the links .
jacog

Mar 07, 2014
10:32 AM EDT
The links are there to show you that this thing is being studied, and your attempts to moot any of these findings will likely have more holes in them than the things you are trying to disprove. And you don't disprove a thing buy pointing at it and going "ha!".

Anyway, as with most "debates" on the internet, this one not likely to go anywhere, not while minds are so closed.
notbob

Mar 07, 2014
11:49 AM EDT
> While the links provided by you are extremely interesting.....

They are mostly exceptions to most video games, not the norm.

There is no doubt games can be valuable. Even card and board games. They all provide a certain level of mental stimulation and focus mental acuity. Video games can be equally productive. What are computer modeling simulations but variations of gaming. Weather prognostications or ecosystem modeling, etc.

Unfortunately, the Kerbel Space Program game is not likely to show up on Walmart's shelves anytime soon. And dreamy dragon dappled scenery is not solving the issues of the world's water and energy shortages or dying ecosystems. Likewise, I fail to see how building a prison is going to help solve any of the problems currently facing mankind. Basically, it's not. It's jes one more man oppresses man variation to be produced and sold to the braindead masses for profit.

Personally, I think other sims would be much more valuable. Howzabout a water recovery/sanitation facility sim? Or a sim to re-establish the natural ecosystem of a flowing river? Or a sim to construct a more efficient solar power farm? Unfortunately, not likely to catch on, anytime soon. Why? No weapons!! ;)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!