who needs all that plastic anyway

Story: Keurig’s next generation of coffee machines will have DRM lockdownTotal Replies: 15
Author Content
tuxchick

Mar 05, 2014
1:58 PM EDT
I do not understand the appeal of this landfill-filling gadget. Is it so hard to scoop stale flavorless coffee out of a larger container with your own hands?
theboomboomcars

Mar 05, 2014
3:50 PM EDT
I think the appeal is spending 5x-10x the ammount per cup for your drink. With this great technology Kurig customers can be assured that they will only be spending 10x the amount per cup.
cr

Mar 05, 2014
4:01 PM EDT
> Is it so hard to scoop stale flavorless coffee out of a larger container with your own hands?

That'd be a definite hardship for me. I scoop fresh 100% Columbian out of a cannister kept in the fridge, into a flat paper filter folded to fit the Melitta-shaped basket in the latest of a string of el-cheapo one-cuppers. That coffee does not last long enough to get stale (gakkkh).
gus3

Mar 05, 2014
7:30 PM EDT
Keurig? Bah. I have a percolator that's older than I am. Our combined ages are nearly 100 years old.

Now you kids get off my lawn!
Steven_Rosenber

Mar 05, 2014
8:04 PM EDT
The coffee out of those things is pretty good, but you can get just as good coffee from a regular drip coffeemaker. With less waste in terms of plastic, too.
jdixon

Mar 05, 2014
8:06 PM EDT
I can understand the appeal at a workplace, where different people prefer different blends of coffee, and some might prefer tea or hot chocolate.

And where hopefully the company pays for it, of course. :)
cr

Mar 05, 2014
8:27 PM EDT
Company coffee is usually a tepid tea that dreams of being tinged with coffee. I always ended up bringing my own travel one-cupper on my contract gigs... unless there was an espresso bar in the lobby.
tuxchick

Mar 05, 2014
8:48 PM EDT
jdixon, that doesn't excuse all the plastic. I've seen single-serve coffees that come in little paper filter bags like teabags. Those actually decompose.
the_doctor

Mar 05, 2014
8:57 PM EDT
There's only one true way to brew a proper cup of coffee. ;)
tuxchick

Mar 05, 2014
10:09 PM EDT
I may be off my dot, but I want a proper coffee in a proper copper pot :D
gus3

Mar 06, 2014
2:41 PM EDT
Office swill can sometimes be improved with a chocolate turtle or two on top of the grounds in the basket. Mocha/caramel/nutty distractions from just what it is you're drinking.
BernardSwiss

Mar 06, 2014
5:29 PM EDT
I should'a brought popcorn...

Keurig Insists Coffee DRM Brings 'Interactive-Enabled Benefits' And Is For Your Own Safety
Ridcully

Mar 06, 2014
5:32 PM EDT
I'm with gus3......coffee percolator. We've got a beautiful pyrex glass one so you can watch it all happen. We even grow a single coffee plant of our own.....not much, but enough to have a cup or two. I'm told by a coffee afficionado that what we grow and roast ourselves has the "kick of a mule". But it tastes very nice anyway. Any pre-packaged stuff like the article that I've tasted so far has appealed to me as coffee coloured mud.
jdixon

Mar 06, 2014
5:54 PM EDT
> jdixon, that doesn't excuse all the plastic...

Well, on that I'll have to agree. But that's a decision made by the company. Of course, the only use I have for coffee is dipping ginger snaps. I find the stuff practically undrinkable. I'm a tea person.
tuxchick

Mar 07, 2014
12:39 AM EDT
Well it's OK jdixon, because it's for our own safety. I feel so much better now!
Bob_Robertson

Mar 07, 2014
10:15 AM EDT
ROADS!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!