...And older BSD too.

Story: Attack hits Web servers with outdated Linux kernelsTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
cr

Mar 22, 2014
4:32 AM EDT
Read the comment stream on the linked Cisco blog: FreeBSD is in their compromised-hosts list as well. The age of the Linux kernel shown in HTTP headers is at this point being regarded as a beacon for having some as-yet unidentified userland-level vulnerability, nothing more.
gary_newell

Mar 24, 2014
4:30 AM EDT
Couldn't this article easily be written as "Attacks hit unpatched Windows servers".

notbob

Mar 24, 2014
10:07 AM EDT
So, as I understand it, it's not really Linux boxes, per se, that are the problem, but lazy arsed workers who have neglected their duties as security attentive sysadmins. Yes/no?
Bob_Robertson

Mar 24, 2014
10:35 AM EDT
Did someone mention WInXP yet?
gus3

Mar 24, 2014
2:25 PM EDT
I wouldn't automatically blame lazy-arsed workers. Sometimes, their hands are tied by corporate policies put in place by their ignorant superiors.
jdixon

Mar 24, 2014
2:45 PM EDT
> Did someone mention WInXP yet?

Well, that would hardly be news, now would it. :)
Bob_Robertson

Mar 24, 2014
3:08 PM EDT
(chortle)
cabreh

Mar 25, 2014
3:48 AM EDT
Actually that would be news! After all in the media world a Windows virus/problem is called a computer virus/problem to make sure people don't associate the issue with Microsoft. But as soon as it's somebody else's system it is screamed to the heavens.

cr

Mar 25, 2014
7:35 AM EDT
Word.
notbob

Mar 25, 2014
8:46 AM EDT
> put in place by their ignorant superiors.

While I'm sure we've all been down that road, perhaps "ignorant superiors" would not be quite so ignorant if said "lazy-arsed workers" were not quite so much so. No doubt there's plenty of real estate on which to spread ye olde blame dung.

Bottom line, it doesn't sound to me like the aforementioned Linux servers should be the target of clueless journalist/bloggers and the real issue is NOT that Linux is not a secure OS, as the media would have us believe.
jdixon

Mar 25, 2014
8:56 AM EDT
> ...as the media would have us believe.

The media and the anti-virus/malware vendors.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!