Any history researcher needs this one

Story: Scripting an OCR text archiver for TroveTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
Ridcully

Mar 23, 2014
6:20 PM EDT
I've used Trove while researching family history. Brilliant !! Admittedly, this is based on Australian newspapers held in the National Library but it contains huge quantities of articles that are relevant to other countries. I guess you could say you'll get an Australian "flavour", but at the very least you may get ideas for links into other data base areas. And it's free to the user. Bob Mesibov's method was not available to me a year ago when I was doing my searching and it's rather nice to see a Linux tutorial on how to get the info out and into a digital format you can reproduce easily. The pdf files of the newspapers can be difficult to read, especially in the cases of the very early published releases.......

But you'll be amazed at what you can find. As a child, my grandmother actually DID fight a crocodile off from attacking their rowing boat in N Qld....all the Olufson children used a rowboat daily on the Bloomfield River to get to school. From then on, they had to use the much longer bush track.
Bob_Mesibov

Mar 24, 2014
12:29 AM EDT
Hi, Ridcully.

It's hard to overstate the importance of Trove for Australian history researchers. One of the stories on my history website (http://www.circularheadhistory.info/forests/welcome1.html) is based on a 1924 Royal Commission report, and for 30 or so years pretty much all I knew was in that report. When Trove launched, I could quickly go backward and forward from1924, tracing leads and composing a much wider history. The final set of Trove snippets for that story is 150 000 words, in a single text file annotated as I describe in the Linux Rain piece.

Another Australian has built a similar annotator which loads the clipboard with the OCR text, but he's built it as a Firefox extension launched from the right-click menu. It works (I think) but is Firefox-dependent and doesn't append the text to a file.
Ridcully

Mar 24, 2014
1:09 AM EDT
Hi Bob Mesibov....if your mentioned "Another Australian" has published his annotator for Firefox, it would be worth knowing where it can be obtained ?
Bob_Mesibov

Mar 24, 2014
2:56 AM EDT
Sorry! The add-on is at http://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/cite-trove/?sr...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!