Yeah, Right ... trust us

Story: AT&T promises to lower your Internet bill if FCC kills net neutralityTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
hughesjr

Mar 25, 2014
12:53 PM EDT
This is the silliest thing I ever heard of.

Netflix, you need to pay your ISP for your internet service ... AND ... you need to pay us protection money to let your traffic on our network.

This is flat out extortion, nothing more. They should put these guys in jail for racketeering, not be discussing how to make it legal.
CFWhitman

Mar 25, 2014
1:08 PM EDT
That's pretty much the way I see it. Basically, these companies are asking for permission to make customers pay for bandwidth twice. It's like going to a fast food place, paying for your drink, and getting your cup, then going to the soda fountain to find that it won't come on unless you put a few quarters in. I already pay for my bandwidth; why should I have to pay again?
cr

Mar 25, 2014
1:39 PM EDT
...And then they want to merge to form a larger monopoly-of-area?
BFM

Mar 25, 2014
11:04 PM EDT
These big monolopistic ISPs are trying to lock us into their private walled gardens. To go anywhere outside of them (which is everywhere) you will have to pay a toll. They have wanted to do this forever. Just ask Apple. Net neutrality is the only thing stopping them. So of course they want to kill it.
BernardSwiss

Mar 25, 2014
11:27 PM EDT
This is that "two-sided business model" -- the one that the new FCC chair was talking about as an acceptable (and desirable) option -- in practice. Which, just coincidentally, is what the telco/isp industry has been pursuing for years.

The ISPs want to set themselves up as infrastructurally ensconced middlemen, as the unavoidable gatekeepers, who get to charge anybody and everybody both coming and going -- even though they've already been paid at least once, maybe twice, to transport the same packet of bits through "their pipes".

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!