Here we go again.

Story: Did Mozilla jump the shark with Firefox 29?Total Replies: 3
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

May 01, 2014
10:44 AM EDT
I seem to recall that the discussion about GUI stability has been ongoing for a while now.

Yet, here we go again.

Oh! Shiny!
TxtEdMacs

May 01, 2014
11:51 AM EDT
Bob,

I am one of those that does not rush to add the newest and "greatest". Manytimes even after a delay I find the offerings wanting. Nonetheless, I find FireFox 29 better on the stability front and the changes in the GUI better for me in most instances, even though I am not yet fully acclimate to all those changes.

I remain skeptical on the hectic pace of new "stable" versions. Moreover, I think aping Chrome release pace forfeited one of FireFox's strengths, at least initially, that is the add ons fell out of sync with the browser giving the former an opening. Chrome had the advantages of speed and being multiprocess tool. The latter gave stability where you might lose a tab, but the application itself would not fully crash as in the case of FireFox. Furthermore, Mozilla gave away another advantage by being indecisive on where they stood on privacy and commercial interests. While I have a gmail address and use Googlemaps and the search (but not exclusively) I avoid most other offerings.

I also think that Mozilla should rethink their release schedule, a single year for a stable release does not suffice for even a University that needs to test for conflicts. There needs to be FF versions with longer term support where it may be seen and used by institutions, even businesses.

My [/serious] take on this.
HoTMetaL

May 01, 2014
6:01 PM EDT
Quoting:There needs to be FF versions with longer term support where it may be seen and used by institutions, even businesses.

There is. It's called Firefox ESR. We use it at work. And it's name is Firefox, not FireFox.
the_doctor

May 01, 2014
9:15 PM EDT
I've been using FF 29 for several days now. It works fine. No issues here.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!