toys

Story: The Tablet Dead End Is Dead AheadTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
lqsh

May 02, 2014
9:08 AM EDT
I couldn't agree with the article more. I've always though of tablets as interesting, expensive toys. In my family the iPad is used to read magazines - nothing else. Digital subscriptions are cheaper than paper (minus the actual iPad). Hmm, I guess sticking with paper would have been far more affordable.. As far as games go, the kids use their phones, not the tablet. I hate to throw Chromebooks into the same category of toys, but I could only play for one for a week, before returning it.
DrDubious

May 02, 2014
10:42 AM EDT
I'd disagree somewhat - not so much with the overall thesis but the idea that tablets are mere "toys" or a fad that will disappear.

I would have said the same thing a couple of years ago, but the Nexus 7 (original version) dropped enough in price just before the new Nexus 7 was released and I got one.

While if I had to choose between either a laptop or a tablet I would definitely choose the laptop, I do find the tablet superior for a subset of things I do. It's substantially more portable than any real laptop, I find it much more comfortable to use for "e-reading" than a laptop, oddly enough (I suppose it's just more "book-like" than a laptop screen), and it's extremely handy as a portable map (OpenStreetMap data means I don't need a constant internet connection while travelling to use the map). It's also quite serviceable for casual web-browsing and email monitoring. I actually don't often play games on it, but clearly sufficient for that sort of use, too. It's also a decent media player, though I don't use it for that too often.

My phone is old, but even a newer one would be less desirable for a lot of this due to the smaller screen. I find I very rarely need or want to make phone calls, so the only thing I even want a "phone" for is ubiquitous internet connection.

That actually covers a majority of what the technologically unambitious masses need, I think. As long as phone companies gouge customers for comparatively tiny amounts of data transmission, there'll still be a market for wifi-only devices.

The good news is that I think the article is still on the right track, but rather than seeing tablets disappear and everyone going back to laptops, I'm expecting to see "high-end" tablets fade out to be replaced with much cheaper (but still powerful by the standards of the last few years) tablets for basic home use by the technologically-unambitious masses.
tuxchick

May 02, 2014
11:34 AM EDT
DrDubious, you're a lot closer to the mark than professional crank John Dvorak. Tablets are wonderful for portable media center, games, and email/chat/Web surfing, which is all that a lot of people need. I have a nice little Bluetooth keyboard that turns mine into a 2-pound travel rig. Throw in a good handwriting note app and audio/video recorder, and I have everything I need for interviews and covering conferences.

You can use tablets as home media center controllers, home automation controllers, industrial controllers, datacenter monitors and controllers, telescope and camera controllers...they're more versatile than laptops because of their portability, and not requiring a keyboard. I think computer nerds forget that keyboards are significant barriers to a lot of people because they don't know how to type, and a tablet is easier to operate when you're walking around. Someday good voice and handwriting recognition will make keyboards optional.

Quoting: rather than seeing tablets disappear and everyone going back to laptops, I'm expecting to see "high-end" tablets fade out to be replaced with much cheaper (but still powerful by the standards of the last few years) tablets for basic home use by the technologically-unambitious masses.

Yep, and for high-end complex tasks as well.
jdixon

May 02, 2014
11:44 AM EDT
> ...but rather than seeing tablets disappear and everyone going back to laptops, I'm expecting to see "high-end" tablets fade out to be replaced with much cheaper (but still powerful by the standards of the last few years) tablets for basic home use.

I'd like to see a universal wireless dock that will work with any tablet and will allow the connection of a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and external storage.
dinotrac

May 02, 2014
12:21 PM EDT
Pundits can be so stupid sometimes.

What is this hooray A, B is dead mentality?

Things do die, but a more common pattern is that new technology comes along that better fits a use that old technology didn't do so well. In that case, the old technology use drops some and a place is carved out for the new.
JaseP

May 02, 2014
12:29 PM EDT
I think Dino's got it right... Tablets might die,... but the next tech trend will be on the horizon (maybe small, embedded devices replacing HTPCs & Home Servers?!?!)... Besides, the Holy Grail of tablets hasn't been reached yet. Once Tablets can be used for 80-90% of what you can do on a PC (that includes content CREATION, too),... Then we'll see if they're saturated or not. I see tablets becoming the pocket calculators of the beginning of the 21st century. Calculators once went for $500 a pop. Now, you can get them for $1. Tablets may never get quite that cheap, but they will come down to the $25-30 range, eventually.
pmpatrick

May 02, 2014
1:05 PM EDT
Just a typical John Dvorak article. He's been writing outrageous/controversial articles to generate page hits for years. If he didn't invent this practice, he certainly perfected it. He also has a long history of taking jibes at Apple, seemingly just for the fun of it. I can't really blame him since his articles are entertaining to read and the apoplectic reactions from Apple users are both predictable and hilarious. You just don't take anything he writes too seriously; it's meant to be entertainment, not serious analysis. Also couldn't help noticing several apparent astroturfing posts in the comments section from a few MS Surface fans. Can such creatures actually be found in nature??? I doubt it.
nmset

May 02, 2014
1:14 PM EDT
Well I use the tablet and phone at work for their mobility : using OpenOffice documents with printing, taking pictures, accessing databases, managing 'customer' files... with a lot more potential behind... a mixture of good usage of Android applications and standard GNU/Linux apps in chroot. Toys? I hate toys, WE make the tablet/phone a toy or a tool, it's up to us do decide.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!