AKA - the Bodhi release cycle

Story: Linux Mint will be based only on Ubuntu LTSTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
Jeff91

May 16, 2014
1:19 PM EDT
It works really well. Actually lets us focus on getting everything done right instead of rushing to get new releases out every six months.
cmost

May 16, 2014
4:28 PM EDT
I agree. As long as major applications are backported then users shouldn't really notice much difference. If some users want bleeding edge, they're free to use Linux Mint Debian Edition which is semi-rolling. In the meantime, this change should free up developers to work on polishing Cinnamon and the many custom Mint tools.
Steven_Rosenber

May 16, 2014
6:33 PM EDT
Ubuntu has been keeping Firefox and Chromium up to date in releases for some time now, and that's a big help.

Back when I was running Debian, I'd use upstream .debs to keep OpenShot up to date (and it's more stable now than ever, I'm happy to report).

I think Canonical did a good thing by pushing upstream browser code instead of backporting security fixes to an older version.

If you do want/need a more stable browser, there are always the ESR releases that Debian is using.

I imagine LibreOffice being a bit of a "pain point," for some.
montezuma

May 17, 2014
10:03 AM EDT
Clem sounds like he is rationalising Mint development after a period of rapid expansion. Cinnamon in particular must have taken a lot of time and energy. This looks like a good move. Generally there are few packages that need frequent upgrades and user experience is improved a lot by focus on the desktop responsiveness and feature set.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!