Do I dare to click this? Is there any point?

Story: The Net Neutrality HysteriaTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
BernardSwiss

May 22, 2014
8:29 PM EDT
There was I time when I'd click anything by Dvorak; it was sure to be entertaining -- and might sometimes even be informative.

These days, I assume it will be neither. And I've had enough to rankle me, for this week already.

So I'm going to pass -- unless the LXer crew :) tells me otherwise...

Gxis!
albinard

May 22, 2014
9:30 PM EDT
Don't risk it. I started, blood pressure began to soar, I quit.
skelband

May 22, 2014
10:10 PM EDT
> Why hasn't it already happened?

There are a number of instances where it has been strongly suggested that this is going on all the time at the present time. That's why the issue raised its ugly head. Dvorak seems to lack the imagination to see why this is pretty much inevitable with the demise of cable TV, which will be gone within 5 years.
BernardSwiss

May 22, 2014
11:08 PM EDT
Rats!

Now that I've taken the trouble to not only participate in the discussion, but actually even started the thread... I'm feeling morally obligated to actually read the darnn thing.

*&^%$#@!

tuxchick

May 22, 2014
11:10 PM EDT
When I read stuff like this it makes me wish I could get paid for publishing my cranky scribblings, hastily jotted down when I get up in the night to visit the loo. Under a pseudonym, of course.
BernardSwiss

May 22, 2014
11:21 PM EDT
O-kay... I'm back.

That didn't take long at all. And what can I say? Besides that it was even worse than I expected?

That was so sad. Make that, pathetic. Even as a typical Canadian, that's as gentle a criticism as I can manage. Dvorak has been around far, far too long to pass off that semi-informed, misinformed, ISP talking-point tripe as a vague semblance of an informed opinion, let alone some sort expert analysis.
mbaehrlxer

May 23, 2014
12:45 AM EDT
sit down, take a deep breath, relax. we know you just went through a terrible experience that no-one should have to suffer. but look at the good side. there are some great reactions in the comments, showing that the readers aren't getting lulled in by this. not all is lost yet...

greetings, eMBee.
albinard

May 23, 2014
10:58 AM EDT
Gee, I never tried visiting the loo under a pseudonym!
tuxchick

May 23, 2014
12:29 PM EDT
albinard, that's in case I miss in the dark. Don't want to get blamed.
gus3

May 24, 2014
2:03 PM EDT
Wow, that conversation went downhill before I ever got a chance to push it over.
tuxchick

May 24, 2014
3:23 PM EDT
You're welcome, gus3. :D
mbaehrlxer

May 26, 2014
11:03 AM EDT
uhm if anyone ever were to ask my name just for using the bathroom, i'd give them most certainly some pseudonym.

greetings, eMBee.
gus3

May 26, 2014
4:22 PM EDT
Tell them you're "root".
caitlyn

May 30, 2014
11:49 PM EDT
tc wrote:
Quoting:When I read stuff like this it makes me wish I could get paid for publishing my cranky scribblings, hastily jotted down when I get up in the night to visit the loo. Under a pseudonym, of course.

Yeah, the days when people would pay me for such nonsense are long gone. Nowadays people actually want me to work for a living.

gus3 wrote:
Quoting:Wow, that conversation went downhill before I ever got a chance to push it over.
The level of the conversation is still higher than the level of the article.

gus3 wrote:
Quoting:Tell them you're "root".
A friend of mine had two bumper stickers on her old car. One said, "Got root?" The other said: "I read your e-mail". In those days the second one would raise an eyebrow. Today a likely response would be: "Why not? Everyone else does, or at least mines it for salable data."

Seriously, the ISPs are now all large corporate communications providers. They lobbied hard to get rid of network neutrality. It's going to take one heck of a public outcry to save it and, sadly, the general public is neither aware of nor interested in the issues.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!