Seems minor but...

Story: What is a good terminal emulator on Linux?Total Replies: 2
Author Content
rnturn

May 29, 2014
4:44 PM EDT
... when you're a daily Linux user and are forced to use Windows and need to the use terminal emulation one gets for free from Microsoft, you realize how good you have it when you go back to Linux. I will admit that the totally clumsy means by which you have to cut-n-paste (well, actually, it's the the process of highlighting the text that's so execrable) when using the Windows terminal emulator makes you work more quickly. But the reason isn't that the software is easy to use and be more efficient but, rather, that the ordeal is so painful that you'll work quickly to finish doing whatever task forced you to use Windows so you can get back onto your Linux system as soon as possible. It's as though Microsoft deliberately made using the command line as painful as it possibly could.
notbob

May 30, 2014
8:59 AM EDT
I've hadda use the DOS shell and often prefer it cuz all too often a windoze gui will not get the job done. Actually, I learned computers from DOS, so am comfortable with it. My only complaint is, like other winblows iterations, M$ keeps changing it and not for the better.

I use konsole on fluxbox and am content with it. I don't see the other pioneer term-ems like xterm, aterm, and eterm, where I cut my teeth on Slack DEs. I remember discovering transparency on aterm and thinking --Wow!-- that's really ....pretty useless. ;)
mrider

May 30, 2014
11:05 AM EDT
I am forced to use Windows at work (me spits). A few things I do help:

1) I add the tools from http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/ to my path.

2) I go to properties and set "Quick Edit Mode" and "Insert Mode" to on.

3) I change the Screen Buffer Size height to 9999 (keeps a longer scrollie history).

4) I write quickie batch files to translate commands that always trip me up - e.g. I have clear.bat that does a "cls".

5) Finally, I have Perl installed and in my path so I don't have to figure out the M.S. scripting environment du jour.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!