Who would doubt this?!

Story: Mark Shuttleworth Says That Ubuntu Is Now the Biggest OS in the CloudTotal Replies: 15
Author Content
LXerUser

Jun 03, 2014
1:17 PM EDT
"Mark Shuttleworth Says That Ubuntu Is Now the Biggest OS in the Cloud"

Steve Balmer and Bill Gates also said that Windows Bob, ME, Vista, Metro, and 8 were smashing successes also.

Thank you for your very reliable, surprising information.
BernardSwiss

Jun 03, 2014
3:38 PM EDT
Wouldn't one get more mileage out of claiming to be the smallest OS in the Cloud?
notbob

Jun 03, 2014
7:37 PM EDT
I never was a uboobtu fan, but at least I tried it. I'd rather use debian. What really turned me off to screwbuntu was the basless promises of a handheld version of Linux by Shuttlecock. The guy really has no creds, does he? Oh well, I was warned. ;)
jazz

Jun 03, 2014
7:38 PM EDT
> Thank you for your very reliable, surprising information.

I think this will help you:

http://thecloudmarket.com/stats#/by_platform_definition
jdixon

Jun 03, 2014
7:55 PM EDT
> I think this will help you:

You know, the last time I checked, Amazon wasn't the entire cloud.

I could be wrong, but somehow I doubt Ubuntu is all that big on Azure.
jazz

Jun 03, 2014
10:11 PM EDT
> You know, the last time I checked, Amazon wasn't the entire cloud.

It is big enough, and the numbers are public.

> I could be wrong, but somehow I doubt Ubuntu is all that big on Azure.

We don't care about Azure or any other Microsoft technology, do we?

jdixon

Jun 04, 2014
6:37 AM EDT
> We don't care about Azure or any other Microsoft technology, do we?

Whether we do or not isn't really material to the subject at hand.
jazz

Jun 04, 2014
7:54 AM EDT
What numbers are we looking at? Do you have any link to share?
jdixon

Jun 04, 2014
8:52 AM EDT
Numbers are hard to come by when you can't even really define the subject. Are we talking storage, apps, development platforms, infrastructure, or services? All are offered via the cloud. And most of the companies involved don't seem to make their OS information public.

http://www.businessinsider.com/10-most-important-in-cloud-co... gives a nice writeup, though no numbers except their subjective rankings.

Of course, the biggest vendor most people will see is probably Google, with both their service offerings (all of the Google services are effectively cloud services) and ChromeOS, which is effectively an OS built to use their cloud services. And AFAIK they don't use Ubuntu.
gus3

Jun 04, 2014
11:46 AM EDT
Amazon isn't the cloud.

AOL isn't the Internet.

Ubuntu isn't Linux.

PC's aren't Windows.

And reporters are derelict for refusing to question false assumptions.
caitlyn

Jun 04, 2014
5:59 PM EDT
There are lies, damn lies and statistics. Shuttleworth's number is another statistic.
jazz

Jun 04, 2014
7:32 PM EDT
> http://www.businessinsider.com/10-most-important-in-cloud-co... gives a nice writeup, though no numbers except their subjective rankings.

I can see you are reading marketing materials. Try to google public cloud and find something with numbers. For example this one:

http://www.rightscale.com/blog/cloud-industry-insights/cloud...

(look for public cloud usage chart)

All surveys I've seen place Amazon anywhere between 40% and 60% of the public cloud market, Rackspace about 3x smaller, Google and Microsoft Azure smaller than Rackspace. The interesting part is that inside Amazon cloud Ubuntu accounts for over 50% of VMs, followed by a group of images built by users (24%), RedHat (7%) and everybody else. Source:

http://thecloudmarket.com/stats#/by_platform_definition

Notice how huge the difference between Ubuntu and RedHat is. For every RedHat user there are 7 Ubuntu users on Amazon. I am not sure what is going on, however for RedHat images you have to pay, while Ubuntu images are free. The fact that the current RedHat software is almost 4 year old doesn't help either.

jdixon

Jun 04, 2014
7:54 PM EDT
> Google and Microsoft Azure smaller than Rackspace.

Azure, sure. Google? That depends entirely on how you count their search, email, drive, youtube, and plus offerings. Virtual machines are a small part of cloud services.
jazz

Jun 04, 2014
8:29 PM EDT
> That depends entirely on how you count their search, email, drive, youtube, and plus offerings. Virtual machines are a small part of cloud services.

I am just looking on the web at other people and what numbers they publish. According to them, Amazon is several times bigger than Google when it comes to cloud services. I guess they think webmail, search, websites and flash video are web services.
flufferbeer

Jun 04, 2014
8:46 PM EDT
@caitlyn

> There are lies, damn lies and statistics. Shuttleworth's number is another statistic.

Seems to me that MShuttleworth2much's Baboontu fanbois such as the above are CONTINUALLY ready to keep on twisting whatever statistics they can hint at to best suit their purposes, Redmond's M$ or not!!

My 2c
jdixon

Jun 04, 2014
11:19 PM EDT
> I guess they think webmail, search, websites and flash video are web services.

And what is the difference, exactly? How is the web not a cloud service?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!