linuxscreenshot

Jun 24, 2014
10:22 AM EDT
Distribution Finder is another good tool. [link removed]
flufferbeer

Jun 24, 2014
11:34 AM EDT
@linuxscreemshot,

> Distribution Finder is another good tool.

Nice selection tool that AVOIDS emphasizing Baboontu and its wannabes like how some other How-to-Choose-a-Linux-Distro selection tools and how the BeerkleyLUG blogposting all seem to do! Only major weakness with this tool seems to be the inclusion of overly large number of tha onesy-twosy Base distros here, like Android, CRUX, DSL, KNOPPIX, KuBOOboontu, LFS, openSUSE, Salix, Thinstation, TC.

Just my 2c
lqsh

Jun 24, 2014
1:16 PM EDT
Shouldn't a distro chooser/finder show all available options, and not downplay Ubuntu or your so called "onesy-twosy Base distros", that don't appeal to you personally?
mbaehrlxer

Jun 24, 2014
1:28 PM EDT
what do you mean by onesy-twosy Base distros?

given their history, i don't see what's wrong with some of the base distros you criticize: Android is significantly different from anything else to warrant inclusion. same goes for DSL and LFS. knoppix, openSUSE are certainly old enough too. only kubuntu and lubuntu i'd throw out as redundant.

what's missing in the selection though is a choice of packaging formats. and some javascript to make the available choices automatically adapt to the selections already made.

greetings, eMBee.
vainrveenr

Jun 25, 2014
11:49 AM EDT
Quoting:Shouldn't a distro chooser/finder show all available options, and not downplay Ubuntu or your so called "onesy-twosy Base distros", that don't appeal to you personally?

Since the author of the piece extensively brings DistroWatch links, another DistroWatch link is its own "chooser/finder", found at http://distrowatch.com/search.php. Instead of the three Category, Desktop and Base chooser headings of the Distribution Finder, DistroWatch's Simple Search Form has the eight chooser criteria of:

OS Type
Distribution category
Country of origin
Based on
Not based on
Desktop interface
Architecture
Status

And DistroWatch's Advanced Search Form vastly expands on this with over 200 available options, so the distro results of given search can at least in theory be much more finely-tuned compared to the Distribution Finder.

Scott_Ruecker

Jun 26, 2014
12:07 AM EDT
I am going to finally finally finally get started with Linux From Scratch soon, that will put wrinkles on my brain gosh darnit!
gary_newell

Jun 26, 2014
3:38 AM EDT
"I am going to finally finally finally get started with Linux From Scratch soon, that will put wrinkles on my brain gosh darnit!"

My advice if you are going to do this is do it in stages on a spare machine and make sure you read more of the theory rather than worry about the coded steps too much otherwise you will find yourself copying and pasting code without necessarily understanding why.

I managed to get through and create a Linux From Scratch build and it helped a lot from a personal understanding about how Linux works in general.

It can be frustrating at times though
Steven_Rosenber

Jun 26, 2014
12:54 PM EDT
Quoting:I am going to finally finally finally get started with Linux From Scratch soon, that will put wrinkles on my brain gosh darnit!

Isn't Arch enough?
gus3

Jun 26, 2014
6:35 PM EDT
gary_newell, Gentoo can automate the frustration for you.
mbaehrlxer

Jun 27, 2014
3:21 AM EDT
you mean with gentoo frustration is automatic? ;-)

doesn't gentoo also automate away most of the learning?

greetings, eMBee.
Steven_Rosenber

Jun 27, 2014
12:56 PM EDT
You can use Ports in BSD (Free-, Open- and probably the others, too), and have compiler messages whisk across your terminal for hours on end, but you really don't have to know anything much to make it happen.
vainrveenr

Jun 27, 2014
4:28 PM EDT
Quoting:I managed to get through and create a Linux From Scratch build and it helped a lot from a personal understanding about how Linux works in general.

It can be frustrating at times though
Quoting:you mean with gentoo frustration is automatic? ;-)

doesn't gentoo also automate away most of the learning?

The quintessentially "frustrating" alternative is apparently Slackware Linux, number 32 in the blogpiece author's extensive list of DistroWatch references. AAMOF, Slackware Linux has attracted past frustration from its users and reviewers, even noted here at LXer. Most notably:

- The post 'Slackware 12.1 First Impressions', linked to at LXer via http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/103421 along with its extensive More nonsense about Slackware comment thread.

- The post 'Slackware Linux 13.0 - Oldest Linux Distro Gets Major Overhaul [DistroWatch Weekly #323]', linked to at LXer via http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/126280 along with its extensive A balanced and complete review comment thread.

Another related quote is the following from the LXer thread Strange Comments On Mandriva:
Quoting:Quoting:If you are one of the Linux users who is looking for a bit of an education in your Linux experience ...

....... You want to 'learn' LFS, Slackware, Gentoo, will teach you. Debian really wont teach you anything that Ubuntu cant, especially like how to blacklist modules, Ubuntu is a great one to learn that on.

Would perhaps one or more readers agree, from the above, that LFS, Slackware, or Gentoo will themselves probably be more frustrating to learn than Ubuntu, and yet will certainly enable adopters of one of the former three distros to learn Linux quite well ??

gus3

Jun 27, 2014
4:50 PM EDT
I just want the system to do what I want!

Oh, and a pet unicorn.
jdixon

Jun 27, 2014
4:59 PM EDT
> Would readers readily agree that LFS, Slackware, or Gentoo will be frustrating to learn, and yet will enable adopters to really learn Linux quite well ??

Uhm, no. Slackware is easy to learn. It, depending on what you want to do with it, can be frustrating to setup/use.

Slackware is missing many of the "ease of use" and "enterprise" features of many other distro's. It doesn't do dependency checking/installation for you. It doesn't include PAM. It doesn't include SELinux. It doesn't have Gnome. It doesn't preconfigure everything out of the box the way some other distro's do. Its repository of precompilled software is smaller than most other distro's. But, IMO, it is easy to learn, and if you only need what's included by default (true for probably 80+% of home users), it's pretty much as easy to use as any other distro.

If I were setting up a server for enterprise use which needed the extra features of PAM, SELinux, etc., then I wouldn't consider Slackware. If I were a user wanting to easily install/uninstall every program under the sun I wouldn't consider Slackware. But if I want a simple, fast, and rock solid installation that does only what I want and nothing else, then I'd use either Slackware or Arch.
lcafiero

Jun 29, 2014
3:11 PM EDT
Sorry that I'm late to this party, but I have to say that this is awe-inspiring. Simply awe-inspiring.

So apparently we can categorize distros into Ubuntu and its family, Ubuntu-based, Debian-based, and -- wait for it -- everyone else and remain oblivious to the fact that Red Hat and Slackware and their derivatives consistently and historically have contributed far more than the vowel-laden poseur.

Amazing.
jdixon

Jun 29, 2014
4:00 PM EDT
> ...and remain oblivious to the fact that Red Hat and Slackware and their derivatives consistently and historically have contributed far more than the vowel-laden poseur.

You do have a way with words, Larry. :)

Now, tells us what you really think.
vainrveenr

Jun 29, 2014
10:30 PM EDT
From an above commentator in this thread ::
Quoting:> Distribution Finder is another good tool.

Nice selection tool that AVOIDS emphasizing Baboontu and its wannabes like how some other How-to-Choose-a-Linux-Distro selection tools and how the BeerkleyLUG blogposting all seem to do! Only major weakness with this tool seems to be the inclusion of overly large number of tha onesy-twosy Base distros here, like Android, CRUX, DSL, KNOPPIX, KuBOOboontu, LFS, openSUSE, Salix, Thinstation, TC.

OTOH, from the presumably identical commentator commenting in the past More nonsense about Slackware thread ::
Quoting:I've written before, the degree of newbie-friendliness, user-friendliness, performance, upgreadeability, a host of others factors in a Linux distro is like brewing beer.

1. You've got your Beginner-level in which the process is as easy and automatic as possible but the outcome is fixed and usually less than optimal. 2. You've then got your Intermediate level in which the process is a mix of automatic and manual steps. The outcome is more variable and yet is usually closer to optimal. 3. You've then got your Advanced level in which the process is as fully under your complete control as possible. The outcome is variable and yet can be perfectly optimal (or absolutely horrible if you mess up too many manual steps..... then the bad batch of brew will deservedly get poured out!)

I'd put some of the LiveCD distros in the Beginner-level or for-newbie camp. Get the ISO CD of PCLOS, Ubuntu-Live, DSL, Puppy, Knoppix or whatever, pop this into your CD-ROM drive, boot-up and you're good to go..... a no brainer.

I'd put Linux from Scratch and Linux distros making heavy use of direct sources in the Advanced-level. No argument there.

Slackware, Debian, their offshoots such as Vector and Zenwalk, and most other installable Linux distros -- and I've also used many of these on different HW levels -- these would all fall under the wide Intermediate-level range. Many of these Linux distro certainly CAN be installable by newbies, but even the simplest ones (thinking of Ubuntu at the moment) could easily require an outside helping hand if the initial disk-partitioning steps are confusing, package selection and X-configuration is bewildering, or Heaven-forbid a device should remain unrecognized after installation!

As non-newbie-friendly Intermediate-level distro, Slackware sure remains consistent in its Setup program and the continued use of its CLI/ncurses tools.

Quoting:Quoting:I am going to finally finally finally get started with Linux From Scratch soon, that will put wrinkles on my brain gosh darnit!

Isn't Arch enough?

OTOH, from the presumably identical commentator commenting in the past More nonsense about Slackware thread ::
Quoting:Triple-booting Ubuntu, Debian and Slackware -- I might just do that.

Quoting:Slackware is easy to learn. It, depending on what you want to do with it, can be frustrating to setup/use.

Slackware is missing many of the "ease of use" and "enterprise" features of many other distro's. It doesn't do dependency checking/installation for you. It doesn't include PAM. It doesn't include SELinux. It doesn't have Gnome. It doesn't preconfigure everything out of the box the way some other distro's do. Its repository of precompilled software is smaller than most other distro's. But, IMO, it is easy to learn, and if you only need what's included by default (true for probably 80+% of home users), it's pretty much as easy to use as any other distro.

Quoting:The three advanced user distros I could argue for would be Debian, Gentoo, and Slackware. Both Debian and Slackware are far easier for beginners than they used to be, but neither is ready for the absolute newbie. I've never used Gentoo, so I can't speak for it personally, but people I trust recommend it.

> A review, any review, needs to make clear that a distro like Slackware just isn't for everyone.

Which you did a fairly good job of doing. And I agree that it's not for everyone, nor possibly even for most people. And especially not for the fresh from Windows new user.

And again further down the same same thread ::
Quoting:> Because if you use one of the so-called "user-friendly" distributions, you'll never learn anything, and you'll always be a "newbie."

Which is, unfortunately, what many people want. They don't want to learn, they just want their machine to work. For them, Slackware won't be the best distribution.

For those who want to learn, however, Slackware is ready and waiting.

And yet again, further down in the same thread with the comment ending as follows ::
Quoting:> Slackware is a great base on which to build a distribution. For most people it is anything but a great distribution in and of itself.

Well, it's more accurate to say it won't meet the needs of most people. Whether it's a great distribution or not isn't the same thing. A great horse still won't meet most people's needs for transportation in today's industrialized world.

Slackware isn't what most users trying out Linux for the first time will expect. It won't meet the needs of most new users. However, anyone with a moderate degree of Linux experience will get by fine. It may not be their preferred system, but they will be able to make it work. You are correct not to recommend it to most people, but I think you're overstating the difficulties most people will have.

--

Perhaps whether they readily admit it or not, various persons here may agree in the end that at least for Slackware, its own adopters will certainly learn Linux quite well ??

jdixon

Jun 30, 2014
6:44 AM EDT
> ...at least for Slackware, its own adopters will certainly learn Linux quite well ??

I apologize. I should have noted that I agree with that portion of the statement. :) It's only the hard to learn part that I disagreed with.

Though since it doesn't use the same update tools as Debian or Red Hat, and is missing their "enterprise" features, you won't learn everything you need to know to maintain a system you might use at work.

And yes, if it isn't obvious, I use Slackware. There are a handful of us here who do.
Steven_Rosenber

Jun 30, 2014
9:42 AM EDT
Quoting:So apparently we can categorize distros into Ubuntu and its family, Ubuntu-based, Debian-based, and -- wait for it -- everyone else and remain oblivious to the fact that Red Hat and Slackware and their derivatives consistently and historically have contributed far more than the vowel-laden poseur.

It would have been nice for the article to mention that Ubuntu is a Debian derivative, CentOS is a Red Hat clone, and that Slackware has its own derivatives, for sure.
lcafiero

Jun 30, 2014
12:45 PM EDT
Steven_Rosenber - There are multiple problems with this list, the most glaring of which is that the person who compiled it, at the very least, didn't do his or her homework and, at worst, compiled it with the complete intention of shilling for Ubuntu without any proper regard for history and contribution.

The truth lies somewhere in between, no doubt, and if I were a gambling man, I'd bet on the side of lack of proper research.

My guess is that despite the fact there's a disclaimer regarding the various levels of those who post -- and this would definitely be Exhibit A -- I would hope that Berkeley LUG would get a tighter grip on vetting materials they post.
flufferbeer

Jun 30, 2014
2:02 PM EDT
@Steven_Rosenb and @lcafier,

> It would have been nice for the article to mention that Ubuntu is a Debian derivative, CentOS is a Red Hat clone, and that Slackware has its own derivatives, for sure.

> There are multiple problems with this list, the most glaring of which is that the person who compiled it, at the very least, didn't do his or her homework and, at worst, compiled it with the complete intention of shilling for Ubuntu without any proper regard for history and contribution.

+2 .... another possible Baboontu fanboi there. Seems to me that one or both of you should consider submitting a better post to that particular LUG!

@vainveen,

> OTOH, from the presumably identical commentator commenting in the past More nonsense about Slackware thread ::

And your point is what? That I don't like Baboontu as I just wrote above?? That Slack remains a definite non-nwebie distro? I see ZERO inconsistency in what I wrote then and now!

-fb

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!