And with MATE, Ubuntu returns to its roots

Story: Ubuntu MATE 14.04 Alpha 1 Screenshot TourTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
cmost

Jul 05, 2014
9:28 AM EDT
I'll predict that Ubuntu MATE will eventually overtake Ubuntu Unity as Canonical's most popular variant as well as restore some of Ubuntu's user base that fled to Mint and other distributions when Unity became mainstream. MATE is actually an innovative evolution of the tried and true Gnome 2.x desktop. New features have been steadily added and GTK3 support is coming. While Gnome 3.x and Unity take the desktop in the direction of Windows 8's smart phone-esque interface, MATE presents a conventional desktop that's sane and stays out of a user's way.
Jeff91

Jul 06, 2014
11:41 AM EDT
You seem to be forgetting that the Unity and Gnome developers know how you want to use your system better than you do.

~Jeff
cmost

Jul 06, 2014
5:36 PM EDT
@ Jeff91

Ah, yes... I forgot that tiny detail. My mistake! :-P
flufferbeer

Jul 07, 2014
5:10 PM EDT
@cmost

>> Ubuntu MATE will eventually overtake Ubuntu Unity as Canonical's most popular variant as well as restore some of Ubuntu's user base that fled to Mint and other distributions when Unity became mainstream.

Wouldn't necessarily count on that happenin so soon, given the LACK of attention CanUBcomical is outwardly giving to MATE so far (vs its prized baby, LUnity!) compared to what Mint and others have already done.

2c
krisum

Jul 18, 2014
5:22 AM EDT
> as well as restore some of Ubuntu's user base that fled to Mint

Hehe, no chance for me. Cinnamon on Mint (followed by MATE on older systems) is my fav "non-intrusive" DE for a while now made possible by Unity...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!