Centos 7 first impressions

Story: Centos 7 for x86_64 releasedTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
penguinist

Jul 08, 2014
4:57 PM EDT
I spent the last couple hours playing with Centos 7 in a virtual machine environment, and my first impressions are that this is a continuation of the fine rock-solid RHEL tradition.

We will have to get used to administering systems with systemd and grub2, but we can work with that, I think. The default installation comes up with gnome3 in 'classic-mode'. Since I seldom run X11 on servers (everything is done via ssh sessions) that's not much of an issue for me, and for the occasional system that actually does have a graphical display attached, we can easily yum install our favorite DE, so we are not locked into gnome3.
tuxchick

Jul 09, 2014
12:33 AM EDT
Quoting: we can easily yum install our favorite DE, so we are not locked into gnome3.

Exactly. I like LXDE on test servers. It's lightweight and makes it easier to perform mad experiments.
kikinovak

Jul 09, 2014
3:10 AM EDT
Whenever I need X11 on a server (which occasionally happens), I either use Windowmaker or Fluxbox.
penguinist

Jul 09, 2014
10:13 AM EDT
All of those minimal choices are good, and let's not forget my lightweight fav XFCE.

I usually keep that installed on servers just in case we need to roll up a crash cart to handle some emergency.
jdixon

Jul 09, 2014
10:50 AM EDT
> ...let's not forget my lightweight fav XFCE.

Fear the mouse. :)
dave

Jul 11, 2014
9:18 PM EDT
Fluxbox is still the best.
Steven_Rosenber

Jul 18, 2014
5:58 PM EDT
I've been spending a little time in CentOS 7, too. It runs too hot on my AMD APU-running laptop, which though a year and a half old now is too new for such an old kernel and Mesa.

I'm sure it would run better with the AMD Catalyst driver, but since Fedora is running well enough at the moment, I probably won't be doing a permanent install of CentOS 7 on my daily laptop.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!