Before anyone asks: "What's this to do with Linux ?"

Story: Microsoft KILLS Windows 8.1 Update 2 AND PATCH TUESDAYTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
Ridcully

Aug 06, 2014
3:56 AM EDT
I'm the culprit that posted this on LXer. I did it because so many Linux users are also pragmatic and for business or critical software work, Windows of one version or another is still a crucial piece of software.

So, let me head the question "off at the pass" so to speak, and simply indicate that while it has NOTHING to do with Linux, it has everything to do with Linux computing talking to associated software that we Linux users "never use".....hah !! Just like Munich has found.....most computers run Limux, but a minority still run Windows because they must......the German Education Office is still trapped in a Win-world and therefore Munich has to "talk" to those computers and updates and patches are of enormous interest......I trust I have satisfactorily answered the question ? Bricks are not permitted.......semi-ripe custard apples are satisfactory. :-)
jdixon

Aug 06, 2014
6:12 AM EDT
From the article:

" but at this rate, we may have to wait until the debut of "Threshold" – the major update that's widely expected to ship as Windows 9 – before we see any major new features."

It sure sounds like Microsoft has decided not to reintroduce the start button in Windows 8 after all, and will wait until Windows 9. I guess they've finally figured out that most business are never going to upgrade to Windows 8.
Ridcully

Aug 06, 2014
6:57 AM EDT
I'd agree with that summation very much Jdixon.......From all I am hearing (obliquely), Win8.x is a very dirty word...something like Vista ?
TxtEdMacs

Aug 06, 2014
7:38 AM EDT
[serious]

This is not the only non-(directly related*)-Linux story to hit LXer's list recently without a peep from the peanut gallery. Why? No money was asked of them so it could be safely ignored or read for pleasure. It need not be screamed about as Spam, SPAM, spam ... whatever you call it I hate the stuff in a can or on a plate whatever the color I will NOT partake says "I."

[/serious]

As always,

YBT

* The story I have in mind told of Windows 8's poor performance even when measured against Vista. However, implicitly unmentioned other factors play a role, e.g. other OSs including Linux eroding Windows hegemony. Though both Android and ChromeOS were mentioned most users would be completely ignorant of the central role of the Linux kernel.
the_doctor

Aug 06, 2014
9:46 AM EDT
Yep, I posted that one: Windows 8's uptake falls again, now slower than dud Vista.

What does this have to do with Linux? Everything.

This is just more evidence that consumers have grasped the notion that there are viable alternatives to the traditional MS Windows OS. Linux, Chromebooks, Android and iOS are just as good, if not better than, the MS software they've used for over the past decade.

Microsoft knows they are quickly losing market shares. So what can they do?

Quoting:It's still early in the Windows development cycle for Microsoft to have decided on packaging, pricing and distribution, but my sources say, at this point, that Windows Threshold is looking like it could be free to all Windows 8.1 Update, and maybe even Windows 7 Service Pack 1, users.

From: Windows 'Threshold': More on Microsoft's plan to win over Windows 7 users

It's just a rumor.
number6x

Aug 06, 2014
10:09 AM EDT
I bought a laptop loaded with Windows 8 loaded on it about 2 months ago. First computer I've purchased without Linux pre-installed since 1997. I never booted to Windows and wiped the drive right away.

Linux Mint 17 had just come out and had support for high DPI monitors.

I don't know If I would have liked Win 8 or not, and I don't really care.

notbob

Aug 06, 2014
11:55 AM EDT
So, now LXer has evolved (devolved?) to a point where posters of are now attempting to justify their non-Linux posts. Apparently, any Windows news can now be construed as Linux related cuz, no matter how far down the line, they must co-exist with Linux on a LAN/WAN, eventually. Blatant spam is also OK cuz it's from a Linux related publication. Fine. Not my football.

I liked the "How to set up Samba...." article for obvious reasons. Primarily about Linux and how Linux can communicate with Window. It was not totally about Windows and maybe ....perhaps ....if you look/think hard enough .... jes may relate to Linux. And yes, I DO have one XP box. OTOH, I learned how to do Samba from the online O'Reilly book that's been freely posted on the web for at least a decade.

http://oreilly.com/openbook/samba/book/index.html

I'll still read the new article for any updates.

Whether or not this new "anything goes" trend on LXer is being encouraged by the big cheeses at the top to gain more readership or for whatever reason, I'll no longer protest it. I promise! When LXer gets to be too far gone to be considered a good Linux news site, I'll jes find my Linux news somewhere else. In the meantime, I thank you all for tolerating this old curmudgeon. ;)

Ridcully

Aug 06, 2014
5:31 PM EDT
That's not exactly how I saw it, notbob. Under normal circumstances, stories about the usual "blah, patches, lack of security, etc. etc. etc. concerning Microsoft" all head for my rubbish tin. And rightly so....LXer is (as you so very gently, succinctly, sweetly, lucidly and courteously put it) "supposed to be a good Linux news site"........But this sort of information, given how Linux users grapple and curse the name of Redmond (the Samba team for instance fought Redmond to a standstill in the courts) so often, was worth putting here because if it comes to pass, it alters the Microsoft side of the playing field considerably.

Looking back through all my editorial efforts, I think this is probably either the first or second time I have ever bothered to post Microsoft's blurb and I post numbers of articles each day. So in all seriousness, you don't have to get your "knickers in a twist" over this editor's sudden conversion to "Microsoft adoration"......I'm an infinite distance from that stance. Oh yes......and this comes from one old curmudgeon to another. No toleration needed.....I'm one of the cohort. Where's my semi-ripe custard apple please ???? Love 'em, and it's custard apple time here at the moment. And that's more important than Redmond news sheets.

Note......we may be using the term "post" in two different ways...I was not the originator who "posted" the article in the queue to be assessed......as an editor, my job was simply to decide whether or not it was worth "posting" to the news site and like I said, my assessment was that this was a game changer and should be of interest, even if it was of the type where you "make a note and forgeddit". And since there was already a thread indicating "what the heck has this to do with Linux"........I got in first. So there !! Be nice or I'll take me bat 'n ball and go 'ome to Mum.

Aug 06, 2014
9:27 PM EDT
@Number6x:

Likely that laptop still shows up as a Windows 8 sale on the MS accounting books, unless you did the proper song and dance...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!