Nice port, but who needs it?

Story: LibreOffice is coming to AndroidTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
theBeez

Aug 10, 2014
2:22 AM EDT
I used to get all fluffy inside by the thought of LibreOffice on Android, but not anymore. The office tools aI got are quite enough for displaying and creating office documents. I still don't feel like editing the stuff on a tablet, let alone a phone. And they're a tenth of LO's size.
JaseP

Aug 10, 2014
3:44 AM EDT
That said,... virtually all phones and tablets have voice to text capability... a capability which not only rivals, but surpasses older tools like Dragon Naturally Speaking, for the most part (sure,... it's web-based but...). Wouldn't it be awesome to dictate your correspondence, work reports, school assignments or scientific journal articles?!?! I am actually somewhat excited by the prospect.
seatex

Aug 10, 2014
11:25 AM EDT
LibreOffice for Android will motivate a good friend of mine to finally convert his MS Access database to Base (for use on his smartphone and tablet) and abandon MS Orifice. So, that's a big positive.
gus3

Aug 10, 2014
11:33 AM EDT
My brother has an Android tablet, with detachable keyboard/touchpad. LOo would probably work well for him.
lcafiero

Aug 15, 2014
10:58 PM EDT
I'm not so sure this is a great thing. Word processing with LibreOffice on a tablet is akin to cutting down a redwood with a pocket knife. Sure, you could do it (eventually), but there are better tools (e.g. LibreOffice on a laptop/desktop) for the job.
flufferbeer

Aug 15, 2014
11:37 PM EDT
@1cafier,

>> Word processing with LibreOffice on a tablet is akin to cutting down a redwood with a pocket knife. Sure, you could do it (eventually), but there are better tools (e.g. LibreOffice on a laptop/desktop) for the job.

OTOH, maybe a better analogy of tablet word-processing with LOo is trimming a SAPLING with a pocket knife. Light LOo productivity on 'em using a detachable keyboard/touchpad could be a perfect use-case here! Why bring the chainsaw/ax of that laptop/desktop for word-processing when LOo for tablets works perfectly fine here???

2c
lcafiero

Aug 17, 2014
6:38 PM EDT
@ flufferbeer: Not so sure. You could do that, but why? IMHO, tablets are for entertainment, higher digital life forms like laptops and desktops are for getting things done.

As an aside, there's a emacs version for Android that I downloaded once when I had an Android phone (before I handed it off to my daughter when I got a Firefox OS phone). Want to really drive yourself nuts? Try that.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!