sure, blame Linux for user-space holes

Story: Researcher Finds Potholes In Vehicle Traffic Control SystemsTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
gus3

Aug 10, 2014
2:01 PM EDT
Once again, "it runs Linux, so Linux must be the culprit!".

No, you ignorant dolt, Linux had nothing to do with the application programmers' incompetence.
BernardSwiss

Aug 10, 2014
4:27 PM EDT
Researcher Finds Potholes In Vehicle Traffic Control Systems by Kelly Jackson Higgins wrote: The devices operate over the 802.15 PHY wireless protocol, which provides a low data rate and low power consumption option for this type of network traffic. Cerrudo said the sensors include a Texas Instruments MSP430 microcontroller that runs a version of Linux.

gus3 wrote:Once again, "it runs Linux, so Linux must be the culprit!".

No, you ignorant dolt, Linux had nothing to do with the application programmers' incompetence.

There appears to be only one, rather vague mention of "a version of Linux" -- and it's not only buried eleven paragraphs into the article, but shared equally with the particular Texas Instruments microcontroller and the particular wireless protocol employed.

On the other hand, the vendor Sensys's implementation and problematic decisions around encryption get some fairly pertinent treatment.

Could it be you're over-reacting, just a tad?
seatex

Aug 10, 2014
4:38 PM EDT
I have to agree with BernardSwiss. After reading the part about them disabling encryption, nothing else seemed suspect.
TxtEdMacs

Aug 10, 2014
6:51 PM EDT
Gods how I hate reasonableness ... story killers.

As always,

YBT

P.S. August Gus, how about we go somewhere where there are a lessor number of killjoys?
seatex

Aug 10, 2014
7:10 PM EDT
Well, if they had been running Microsoft Traffic 1.0 instead of Linux... there would be 100 funny comments already. ;-)
BernardSwiss

Aug 10, 2014
7:57 PM EDT
> Well, if they had been running Microsoft Traffic 1.0 instead of Linux... there would be 100 funny comments already. ;-)

Well, Duh! ;-)

Personally, I think the LXer submission system just might need a "schadenfreude" category...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!