"Specialty Software" is not the fault of Linux

Story: Hidden Linux Benefits, Clear Linux ChallengesTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Aug 12, 2014
2:05 PM EDT
Just because your particular specialty application of choice is written for some other platform does not make it the fault of Linux.

That's the responsibility of the people who wrote the specialty application.

Has anyone asked said specialty application authors to write it to run on Linux?

(this in no way absolves Adobe from being worms of the lowest order)
CFWhitman

Aug 13, 2014
10:44 AM EDT
I don't think the author is really saying otherwise, except in that there are open source specialty applications, and they tend to lag behind (at this point) the proprietary specialty applications. Of course, the article is about "Linux Challenges" not 'Linux Faults.' That is, it's not really the purpose of the article to assign blame for specialty applications being behind for Linux; it's only its purpose to warn that this is one of the challenges that a Linux user faces.

Incidentally, one example of a specialty application that I think really shines in the Linux world right now is Darktable, and it's not coincidence that it comes from an area where a lot of good open source development has taken place with tough competition like Raw Therapee, Lightzone, and Photivo.
notbob

Aug 14, 2014
11:31 AM EDT
> (this in no way absolves Adobe from being worms of the lowest order)

Hey! Be nice. How dast you impugn these hard working environmentally beneficial creatures. Jes cuz Adobe is a buncha dirtbags does not mean worms endorse their particular brand o' dirt. ;)
TxtEdMacs

Aug 14, 2014
11:44 AM EDT
Not Bob, you say:

Nice of you to stand up for those that cannot.

However, wouldn't it be better if you gave those ground dwelling creatures a spine so they could do it themselves?

You spoke of evolution last time, now it's time to put it in practice.

As always,

YBT
notbob

Aug 14, 2014
1:59 PM EDT
> wouldn't it be better if you gave those ground dwelling creatures a spine

As much as it pains me, I must also admit to being notgod. ;)

nb

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!