Bummer!

Story: Jeff Hoogland Leaves BodhiTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Sep 15, 2014
8:30 AM EDT
I really enjoyed Bodhi, the Enlightenment DE is a blast to play with.

May your reasons, whatever they may be, be positive (or at least swiftly resolved), Jeff.

seatex

Sep 15, 2014
9:30 AM EDT
Well said, Bob. I also enjoyed playing with Bodhi, even though I never adopted it for regular usage. It did seem to get better and better with each new release. Here's to hoping the project survives.
Bob_Robertson

Sep 15, 2014
10:16 AM EDT
If I were new to Linux, Bodhi would have been a wonderful way to get introduced. The only reason I didn't migrate to it is because of the few things that I have already grown accustomed to.
gary_newell

Sep 15, 2014
11:23 AM EDT
I had Bodhi running on my netbook up until relatively recently. Jeff did some great work on that project.
Steven_Rosenber

Sep 15, 2014
1:21 PM EDT
I'm not a Bodhi user, but I feel bad about this. I have a lot of respect for Jeff, and I hope he finds success in what he's going to do next, which I believe will be advancing his Python skills and trying to book some jobs with that.

I can see from his post that he hoped that Bodhi development would be a team endeavor, and it looks like it ended up being just him.

Linux distributions, especially the small, itch-scratching variety, come and go. As long as users feel OK pivoting from one system to another, I don't see a problem with this. But if that kind of project-level stability is important to your use case, there are plenty of distributions that are definitely going to be around for the long haul.

In the case of Bodhi, I wonder what the state of Enlightenment is in Debian (and Fedora and Ubuntu and Arch) at this point, and if maybe the Enlightenment-using community can be well-served by better packaging in the other distros.

However, I do wish Jeff the best, and I'd encourage him to consider becoming a developer who works on packages for another distro.
gus3

Sep 15, 2014
5:51 PM EDT
Like maybe a Bodhi overlay for Slackware...
jdixon

Sep 15, 2014
8:34 PM EDT
> Like maybe a Bodhi overlay for Slackware...

Well, in the meantime: http://slacke17.sourceforge.net/

Bob_Robertson

Sep 16, 2014
8:37 AM EDT
Gus, that is exactly what I was thinking. One of the more interesting ideas which I have not seen done is a "skin", a set of dependencies, graphics, and settings, which will "theme" your system to look like Bodhi, or WinXP, or whatever.

Sort of what Ubuntu does (visually) to Debian, but without interfering with the underlying generic distribution.

Anyway, it's a thought.
Jeff91

Sep 16, 2014
6:30 PM EDT
I'll still be around the FOSS community - hoping to get a chance to blog more on top of doing more python stuffs. I have actually been contact by a few people so far that are interested in taking over the bulk of the work I was doing.

Hopefully this means I can step back, but Bodhi can still exist. Hoping this pushes the actual dev work into being more a team effort - to date I've done most of that.

~Jeff
kikinovak

Sep 19, 2014
1:56 PM EDT
Enlightenment works very nice on Slackware.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!