Command line versus a GUI

Story: Is GNOME 3.14 winning back Linux users? Total Replies: 6
Author Content
BFM

Oct 04, 2014
10:46 PM EDT
I no longer give this author clicks because I believe he is just trolling. This is in response to the headline questioning why the command line is still around. Mr. Lynch I can do more on a command line and more quickly than any GUI you can name. Nuff said.
jimlynch

Oct 05, 2014
12:59 AM EDT
Oops, dang it. I meant to post this as a response and started a new thread instead. That's what I get for posting so late. :( I hope the mods will clear that thread out, sorry about that.

Here's my message:

Hi BFM,

Please do take a look at the Reddit thread that the headline was based on. I thought it was quite interesting, and there some very good answers in it that clearly explained why command line interfaces can be so useful. It's important to remember that not everyone understands that so I thought the thread was a good opportunity for folks to learn a little bit about why the command line still matters to so many people. Using the command line might be second nature to you, but for others it might be a mysterious or intimidating thing that they may not be familiar with at all.

As far as "trolling" goes, I'm sorry you feel that way. I do my best to make sure the roundups are informative, interesting and hopefully even a bit fun for folks each day. But as with anything else in life perhaps it just comes down to beauty being in the eye of the beholder.
gary_newell

Oct 06, 2014
4:13 AM EDT
We have been here before.

Each person has to decide whether they like to read or not read each link posted on this site and any other site.

I like Jim's round up articles. They provide links to other good articles and there is usually a good mix of reasoning and humour incorporated.
mbaehrlxer

Oct 06, 2014
10:52 AM EDT
i like the articles that jim links to, though i wish some of them would be posted to lxer directly. the reddid thread was good indeed, and in that case i am not sure it would have made a good standalone article on lxer.

jim: btw: most people will never read the body of your lxer post. it does not show up on the front page, or in the rss feeds. it only is visible when someone clicks to create a new thread, or when they click on "read more" instead of the headline.

so when you post a link to your articles you can leave the body on the lxer post empty.

greetings, eMBee.
Koriel

Oct 06, 2014
1:47 PM EDT
As Gary says we have been here before and as far as CLI vs GUI each has its place, and its pros and cons, its simply each to their own this argument is as dead as the proverbial parrot.

Speaking for myself I look forward to Jim's roundup as their are times he catches something I miss and its certainly far from trolling.

Cheers

flufferbeer

Oct 06, 2014
4:01 PM EDT
>> I like Jim's round up articles. They provide links to other good articles and there is usually a good mix of reasoning and humour incorporated.

Seems to me that Jim Lynch's roundups aren't too bad given the fact that there's little to no real competition. Readers like ourselves can always choose NOT to read Jim's roundups if they see he keeps striving for clickbait. Besides, who ELSE is doing roundups or will WANT to regularly do these??

2c
the_doctor

Oct 06, 2014
10:09 PM EDT
Old news.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!