Work on something else?

Story: Lennart Poettering's Linus Torvalds rantTotal Replies: 18
Author Content
AwesomeTux

Oct 07, 2014
2:15 AM EDT
From the article wrote:"under Torvalds' sometimes rude direction, Linux has become perhaps the most important operating system in the world today"

Haha!

Seriously though, Linus is the leader of one component of the operating system, those who find his behavior rude can simply work on something else, work on some other part of the operating system. I know people like to romanticize the kernel and elevate it to a level of importance far beyond how important it actually is, but there are many, many, more projects people can work on and contribute to than the kernel.

Maybe contribute to the filesystem libraries, grub, bash or glibc if you like lower level, or maybe GNOME/GTK/KDE/QT if you like graphical work, or maybe even do your kernel work as an independent kernel module and not interact with Torvalds.

There are thousands of projects that aren't under Linus' control, some have nice leaders, some don't, most are just as important and need contributors just as much if not more than Linux.
Bob_Robertson

Oct 07, 2014
9:38 AM EDT
If I had the skills, the place I would really focus is the libraries. Those things called by everything else.

Make a contribution there, and everyone benefits.
tuxchick

Oct 07, 2014
10:22 AM EDT
Poettering's right. They can cling to the meritocracy delusion, but the real requirement to be accepted in kernel development is to have rhino hide, or be a business with lots of money to fling into the pot.
Koriel

Oct 07, 2014
11:38 AM EDT
I dont think anyone working on the kernel are delusional, i'm damn sure they know what what they are letting themselves in for I mean its not as if Linus hides his nature, I for one support his no-nonsense behaviour not surprising really as I come from an industry (OIl) where this sort of no-nonsense approach is appreciated and if you can't take some offensive language then don't ever think about taking a job in the Scottish Oil Industry.

This is called the reality of the real world and if Poettering doesn't like it he can either create a large enough movement of like minded kernel development folk and try to change it (good luck with that BTW) as his own personality failings are also well known or go do something else.

So basically if you can't take the way its run go do something else like fix Pulseaudio so that it actually might get close to working on a machine with only 2 cores and stop whining.

gus3

Oct 07, 2014
12:10 PM EDT
To generalize tc's comment: The bar is set unreasonably high, so that only an unreasonable person/party can jump over it. Because, as Shaw pointed out, true progress depends on unreasonable people.
Scott_Ruecker

Oct 07, 2014
12:12 PM EDT
AwesomeTux: I agree. If you do not like working on the kernel then find another part you do and contribute there. And the kernel is not the most important part of the OS..it is very important, but not the most important.

What this all says is nothing more than the simple truth that "If everyone liked everyone, then no one would have any friends.." because you don't have to like Linus but if you want to work on the kernel you get to deal with him. Its as simple as that.
Bob_Robertson

Oct 07, 2014
1:50 PM EDT
> the kernel is not the most important part of the OS..it is very important, but not the most important

Well said.
gus3

Oct 07, 2014
2:06 PM EDT
I'd add that the kernel is the most critical to get right, especially in a monolithic kernel like Linux..A programming error in user-space won't bring the system to a halt, barring something that prevent init from launching. In the kernel, a panic is always a risk.

Oct 07, 2014
3:03 PM EDT
Gus3, there is also the risk of init going belly up...
tuxchick

Oct 08, 2014
12:11 AM EDT
Yawn. Same old defenses of asshattery. Setting a high bar for technical excellence is not achieved with personal attacks and abuse. Two different things, and the latter is just plain old bullying.
kikinovak

Oct 08, 2014
3:39 AM EDT
@tuxchick. One of our great philosophers (Lessing) once said something that can be translated like this: "If you don't lose your head in some situations, then you don't have a head in the first place." I've read most of Lennart Poettering's publications, I've watched his conferences and interviews online. As far as I can tell, he talks much and rarely listens. At the same time, he manages to piss off whole communities in the turn of a single sentence. Just search the FreeBSD forums for "poettering" to get a rough idea of the anger building up after he dismissed FreeBSD as "irrelevant" (sic). Other communities (Slackware and Gentoo) have equally had their share of snide remarks, and Linus himself has publicly stated that the systemd developers don't care much about bug reports. Curiously enough, I don't care so much about the technical aspects of systemd, and I'm certainly not a lamer to RTFM and learn new things. Open Source development is teamwork, and Lennart Poettering is manifestly not a good team player. Which explains all the anger and frustration around his project.
gus3

Oct 08, 2014
1:31 PM EDT
Yes, 750, I did say that.
tuxchick

Oct 08, 2014
2:36 PM EDT
kikinovak, "everyone does it" is a lame excuse. I laugh every time I see one of those "Come learn how to be a kernel contributor! We're really not that scary!" announcements. Maintaining a hostile atmosphere is great for perpetuating the status quo. Linux is lacking in key areas because of the cozy little clubhouse mentality, such as accessibility and a good strong open mobile stack. A lack of diversity = stagnation.
BernardSwiss

Oct 08, 2014
6:23 PM EDT
Tuxchick, I don't think kikinovak was saying "everybody does it". I think kikinovak was saying "actions speak louder than words" -- and that by that measure, Poettering is much worse than Torvalds.
notbob

Oct 08, 2014
7:32 PM EDT
This is becoming tedious. You want systemd? Fine by me. Jes somebody, somewhere, leave me a choice. Please. Thank you.
linux4567

Oct 08, 2014
7:44 PM EDT
@notbob: systemd devs are working hard at making systemd an essential dependency so that there is no way you can avoid it without losing other major components of your system.

Pulseaudio is the same, bluetooth audio depends on it (and now Skype too).

And this attitude is exactly one of the main reasons why systemd pisses me off, this is completely against the Linux way of playing nice with other components and leaving the choice to the user.
kikinovak

Oct 09, 2014
2:19 AM EDT
Abstract of my previous post: 1. LP talks much but rarely listens. 2. LP doesn't care if his snide remarks piss off whole communities of users and/or developers. 3. At last LP's given a well-deserved lesson in human interaction.

Oct 10, 2014
9:09 AM EDT
And now he posted a G+ entry with the title systemd-office (apparently he submitted a liberoffice patch that translated some german code comments into english).

If you don't want to get mauled, why do you keep poking the bear?!
Bob_Robertson

Oct 10, 2014
10:50 AM EDT
> If you don't want to get mauled, why do you keep poking the bear?!

Some children never learn the difference between positive and negative "attention".

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!