Works with Chrome on other Distros as well

Story: Ubuntu can now stream Netflix videos via ChromeTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
hughesjr

Oct 12, 2014
9:13 AM EDT
Also works with the latest chrome installed on CentOS 7, Fedora 20, Linux Mint.. Maybe others as well. The key seems to be real Chrome (no chromium), and nss > 3.16.2
cmost

Oct 12, 2014
11:13 AM EDT
You're absolutely correct that Netflix isn't an Ubuntu exclusive. You know how it is though. Anything to get Ubuntu's name mentioned in headlines, as if everything happens there first. That might have been the case a few years ago, but Canonical's little darling has slid from its pedestal. Besides that, since so many so called technophiles are so ignorant of Linux and FOSS in general, many of them actually think Ubuntu IS Linux. Fortunately, there always were much better distros.
cr

Oct 12, 2014
12:32 PM EDT
And, meanwhile, having Ubuntu out there, with its own consistent corporate sponsorship, means that folks whose views of Linux range from marginal to meh to looks good but, with all-volunteer support, will it last have something to point at that's got a track-record now for persistence and consistence as a Linux desktop. This Netflix connection, for one, probably wouldn't have happened (this year, anyway) if not for Ubuntu. I haven't gone looking but I'm sure that there are other apps -- free, freemium and big-money -- that show up first and foremost for Ubuntu, so it could be said that they show up because of Ubuntu.

Not that I'm overly fond of either (I never watch TV and seldom watch movies, so Netflix is somebody else's problem; and my Ubuntu LTS boxes -- installed at all so I have access to things in Ubuntu repos/ppas -- have TDE desktops that won't let me log into root to get system/hwhac work done) but I see the value.
jackd2

Oct 13, 2014
12:15 PM EDT
Well, Canonical devs did make an extra effort to get the needed security libraries backported to 14.04 so netflix would work. Normally that isn't done without an actual cve.

http://www.themukt.com/2014/09/19/native-netflix-ubuntu-linu...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!