Redmond will pull out all the stops.

Story: China Plans to Replace All Windows Machines with Linux Rigs by 2020Total Replies: 10
Author Content
Ridcully

Nov 02, 2014
2:37 AM EDT
Microsoft really cannot afford to lose China. The emerging market is simply too big and if they do lose that Windows market to FOSS, then there is also likely to be a flow on effect in SE Asia. Also encouraging the Chinese moves against Windows is the fact that China now views Windows 8 as a security threat, and I'd be prepared to bet that any future versions of Windows would also be considered in the same light.

There is an old Chinese "curse" which says "may you live in interesting times".......For Microsoft, they certainly are. So, can Beijing pull this one off ? I simply don't know - but watch this space for sure. I hope Beijing does - most sincerely.

jdixon

Nov 02, 2014
8:18 AM EDT
> So, can Beijing pull this one off ? I simply don't know

Given the number of programmers China can throw at the problem, I'd say almost certainly.

Also, remember that their government has access to the Windows source code. Given that, If they wanted to they could probably take ReactOS and make it into a full Windows replacement in fairly short order.
gus3

Nov 02, 2014
8:42 PM EDT
Not only that, China has demonstrated past resolve not to be pushed around by big foreign corporations. Remember how they got Google to give in?
Bob_Robertson

Nov 03, 2014
10:19 AM EDT
"views Windows 8 as a security threat'

Who doesn't?
Fettoosh

Nov 03, 2014
1:52 PM EDT
Quoting:China now views Windows 8 as a security threat

That's only the obvious excuse.

Quoting:So, can Beijing pull this one off ? I simply don't know

China's philosophy and strategy is to be totally independent of any foreign influence or control. They will make any effort necessary to accomplish that. With a billion and more of people, you can be sure they can and will take Linux and create the best distro that suits their needs & requirements. They played on MS using their huge market leverage to get Windows source code to ease the migration and to make sure they avoid infringement on MS windows patents if it had any.

me1010

Nov 03, 2014
8:44 PM EDT
Red Flag Linux: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Flag_Linux

A billion Chinese people don't need FOSS, because everything is already pirated. There are no cost savings to be had, and few laws that are enforced or even present to enforce copyright. It's very likely that the Chinese would only consider re-instating a state-run GNU/Linux distro as a response to international and corporate pressure to stop piracy of software and other electronic media. It's also very likely that the Chinese government will not strongly enforce the use of FOSS, except if the new distro allows Chinese government officials to spy on Chinese citizens. Also, from the article, it appears that the new Chinese-made distro is being developed by a professor, not the state government... However, perhaps that's just a front to hope the citizens don't reject the distro.

Ref 1: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2042401/microsoft-partners-wi...

Ref 2: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/blog/2008/dec/04/linux...
jdixon

Nov 04, 2014
7:03 AM EDT
> Chinese would only consider re-instating a state-run GNU/Linux distro as a response to international and corporate pressure to stop piracy of software and other electronic media.

I think it's more the case that China has been taken aback by the revelations of just how thoroughly our tech industry is entangled with the government spy agencies, and now view all US derived tech as suspect and a potential attack vector for the US government. While they probably don't care about the consumer level, they do want their government and military infrastructure to be secure.
Ridcully

Nov 04, 2014
7:27 AM EDT
I'd agree with your comment about the extent of piracy in China, me1010, however I think jdixon has the better argument here. I think the Chinese Politburo is probably deeply concerned that Windows software always has either unknown "backdoors" or built in trigger/response mechanisms. Yes, I know they got Windows source code, but does that mean they have the latest Win source codes......or just one that is now superseded ? As jdixon so nicely points out, China doesn't want the US peeking into their government and military operations via Microsoft.
Bob_Robertson

Nov 04, 2014
9:23 AM EDT
> how thoroughly our tech industry is entangled with the government spy agencies

Exactly. And as seen with the OpenSSL patch that decreased the keyspace, the interference even with F/OSS is there, just far less effective (I think).

China's vulnerability is that they are authoritarian. Big decisions make big changes which can open big holes. In the more egalitarian nations, even the biggest decision only effects one company at a time, not a whole society.

So at the very least, this is going to be fun to watch.
hkwint

Nov 04, 2014
5:52 PM EDT
Indeed, like me1010, I have my doubts.

RedFlag didn't overtake Windows. Asianux didn't. LinPus and Netbooks on Linux didn't. OK, Android/Linux did though, but mainly on tablets and smartphones.

Some of you may be familiar with the piece called "How Bill Gates Conquered China" [1] - in which they exchanged a research-site as a gift to China with the continued use of Windows by the Chinese government. MSFT also lowered the cost of Office to less then $3 per license for government.

Problems in Berlin (and Vienna before?) also show, you have to do it nationwide - if you don't want to be dependent on all legacy Microsoft file-formats and 'standards'.

Indeed, a state-backed company like KingSoft show how they ripped of MS-Office in a few years, so if they're capable of ripping of MSO and really want an alternative OS, they would already have had it I suggest.

These kind of stories and statements pop up every few years, and though I do believe there's more pressure these days, I'm not going to hold my breath.

[1] http://archive.fortune.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive...
jdixon

Nov 04, 2014
10:53 PM EDT
> ...I'm not going to hold my breath....

None of us are, Hans. But sometimes, it really is different this time. Let's wait and see.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!