Reminds me of a Dutch story

Story: Pirate Bay alternativesTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
Ridcully

Dec 20, 2014
5:02 PM EDT
Except in my version, every time the laddie put a finger in a hole in the dyke, three more opened up. The action taken is pretty pointless - in my humble opinion anyhow. But it should make some legal types some money and give a temporary glow of satisfaction to some politicals, so I suppose that's "good" ? Surely the media moguls KNOW this won't stop a darn thing.
theBeez

Dec 25, 2014
9:26 AM EDT
FYI: the tale of Hans Brinker is not a Dutch tale, but an American one, created by a Dutch immigrant (American with Dutch decent). Probably all Dutch know that putting you finger in a dike doesn't do very much, since if water breaks through, the entire soil is saturated and the thing will slide left and right under your very fingers. But more importantly, you will have to worry about the water that travels under the dike and boil up right behind you (like communicating vessels). Therefore, pumps are running 24/7 since the beginning of time (windmills, remember? We don't grind down that much grain) to keep our feet dry.
Ridcully

Dec 25, 2014
5:55 PM EDT
Okay, okay already Beez, but everybody knows the concept and that's all I was getting at. Besides, dykes are not "thinnish walls that would suit the idea of the story", but massive structures that are very wide at the base and narrower at the top.....rather like the dam walls that are built here in Australia (and elsewhere before anyone jumps on me) to collect water for "times of dry". However, would you accept that it is story with "Dutch flavour" and therefore can be considered a "Dutch Story", even if it is a fable ? And now for something serious: Merry Christmas Beez.
theBeez

Dec 27, 2014
2:15 PM EDT
Oops, sometimes when I'm writing a story I get carried away (in rare cases to an ambulance wearing a straight jacket). But you hit the most important point of all, happy Xmas!
Ridcully

Dec 27, 2014
4:53 PM EDT
Thanks Beez and I look forward to seeing your comments, articles and "various interactions" in 2015. May it be a great year for you in all that you do.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!