Author Content
jlynton

Dec 30, 2014
9:53 AM EDT
This article is just fluff, all it "teaches" is how to sudo apt-get install vlc
CFWhitman

Dec 30, 2014
2:30 PM EDT
That is kind of funny. I was expecting it at least to go into a way to install the latest version by using an additional repository.
Ridcully

Dec 30, 2014
5:02 PM EDT
What springs to mind immediately, jlynton, is the saying: "One man's meat is another..........", or vice versa, LOL. Fluff to you, but it could be essential reading to me, for instance. In all my years of using Linux since about 1998, I have always used RPM based material and for the past 14 years, only used SuSE or openSUSE as my OS. As a result, .deb procedures are a closed book to me and if I was actually starting to try to use, say, Linux Mint, then I'd be looking at things like this purely because I also love to use VLC.
seatex

Dec 30, 2014
5:34 PM EDT
VLC is already included with Linux Mint. Just sayin'... ;-)
Ridcully

Dec 31, 2014
1:05 AM EDT
The defence rests.....QED.......Thankyou Seatex QC......LOL. Seriously though, it makes the point perfectly: I know next to nothing about .deb based distributions.....Although I defintitely DO know that Linux Mint is just about the best for ease of use. If ever I got sick of openSUSE and fighting KDE4 or 5 or whatever, Linux Mint is the path I would probably tread.
the_doctor

Dec 31, 2014
9:31 AM EDT
@ Ridcully -- Agreed.

Not fluff. The article is aimed at noobies. But if you're that new to Linux, Ubuntu may not be the best choice. Mint or PCLinuxOS would be good starter distros.

I have seen fluff pieces on LXer. Articles that fall under the category of A Linux Home Companion with installments of "News from Lake Microsoft-begon." :)
Ridcully

Dec 31, 2014
5:06 PM EDT
Oh yes, the_doctor, me too as regards seeing "real fluff". All the editors try their hardest to make sure anything posted on LXer is serious and right on topic, but occasionally one sneaks through. I personally have seen attempts to put articles that are simply adverts on woodworking tools onto this site - trashed of course, and I can only wonder how they got into the relevant queue for consideration in the first place. Happy New Year.
CFWhitman

Jan 02, 2015
9:43 AM EDT
The thing that makes this odd, though, is not how basic it is, but how specific it is for something so basic. The same advice would apply to any program in the repository. If the article was titled "Install applications on Ubuntu 14.10," and they used VLC as an example, then it would make sense. As it is though, it's strange to see an article specifically about VLC that has nothing in it that specifically applies to VLC.
seatex

Jan 03, 2015
10:32 AM EDT
Sorry about that Ridcully. But when I see an opening, I can't resist. You understand though. ;-)

Personally, I agree with CFWhitman's take on the article. A little narrow for an article.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!