Author Content
cmost

Jan 13, 2015
8:22 PM EDT
Ridiculous!!
buntfu

Jan 14, 2015
1:42 AM EDT
He's a Google blind fool. Doesn't even realize he's supporting the absolute corruption of opensource and Linux in general. Chrome OS and Android are the exact same thing Apple did with BSD by using the tried and true MS tatic of embrace, extend, extinguish tatic/methodology.
kikinovak

Jan 14, 2015
9:11 AM EDT
1. Slackware 2. Slackware 3. Slackware 4. Slackware 5. Slackware 6. Slackware 7. Slackware 8. Slackware 9. Slackware

Forgot anyone?

:o)
gary_newell

Jan 14, 2015
9:12 AM EDT
The article is about 9 linux distros to look out for. It doesn't say that they are the only 9 but the list has to stop somewhere. If the list was "30 distros to look out for" somebody would mention one that would come out in the author's list at 31.

I think the point of the article is that each of the distros listed has an interesting immediate future and could provide defining moments.

For example:

Ubuntu Phone. There isn't one available yet. It will be a defining moment when one is available for purchase. Will it succeed or will it flop?

Ubuntu: 15.04 is going to be a big one with Mir included, more changes to Unity and other desktops appearing such as MATE and maybe Cinnamon?!?

Elementary. A strange one for the list but I think this is here due to its meteoric rise up the distrowatch rankings. We have seen that happen before and they just disappear but either way it is worth looking out for.

SteamOS: Steam came to Linux a few years ago now and a full SteamOS may be a game changer (pardon the pun). A dedicated gaming OS, that is worth looking out for.

ChromeOS and AndroidOS: Not overly sure why these are here only that ChromeOS is now incredibly popular and Android keeps integrating and adding new features.

Fedora: That is there because of the way the distro has been split into three key editions.

Sailfish and Firefox: Will they succeed or will they fail. Both potentially defining moments for Linux.

Debian and Devuan: Massive split in terms of resources. Will it work? Will the original Debian crowd who are opposed to SystemD achieve what they want to achieve.

I think the point is that Linux Mint will continue to add new features and enhance its reputation but there aren't any major developments that is going to change how Linux is perceived and Linux Mint users are unlikely to be offended by changes that are going to be added. It will just roll on and keep doing what it is doing.

number6x

Jan 14, 2015
11:40 AM EDT
@kikinovak,

You forgot SLS.
jdixon

Jan 14, 2015
1:23 PM EDT
> Forgot anyone?

Seriously? Debian and Devuan. But I can't really argue with your list otherwise. :)
seatex

Jan 14, 2015
1:57 PM EDT
> I think the point is that Linux Mint will continue to add new features and enhance its reputation but there aren't any major developments that is going to change how Linux is perceived and Linux Mint users are unlikely to be offended by changes that are going to be added. It will just roll on and keep doing what it is doing.

And that is why, although not the most interesting, it has been #1 on Distrowatch for some time now.

I have been running Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon on my production laptop since the beta release. It is the most polished Linux release I have seen in 9 years. It would be what I would want anyone trying the Linux desktop to see first, for a great impression.
Steven_Rosenber

Jan 16, 2015
5:21 PM EDT
When Devuan delivers something, then we can talk about it. My prediction: They won't.
gary_newell

Jan 16, 2015
5:41 PM EDT
In theory all Devuan has to deliver is Debian without SystemD but I suspect that there will be importance added to make sure Devuan is better than Debian.

I hope it doesn't end up like Guns N Roses. Axl Rose spent a decade or more trying to make the perfect Guns N Roses album only to see that the rest of the band actually managed to do it with a different singer and called themselves Velvet Revolver. When the Chinese Democracy was finally released it wasn't bad, it just wasn't relevant anymore.

The point being that the Devuan team need to focus on getting a product ready and released and not try to be too perfect too soon.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!